Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I recently had my rear shocks go bad. One was leaking a little bit but the driver's side rear was oozing fluid. Needless to say, things were rattling quite a bit back there. Note: I was using the Monroe load adjusting Sensa trak shocks as per another thread here.

So I acquired another set of the Sensa trak load adjusting shocks and replaced them this weekend. All the clunking and rattling disappeared for a bit, but one has reappeared on the drivers side. I double checked to make sure the shock was installed solidly, so am thinking it may be a sway bar bushing. 2006 MDX with 270,000 kms.

Does that make sense?

And will I do irreparable damage by driving it a bit with the clunking going on?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
There is a good chance that the sway bar bushings - or possibly sway bar links - are causing the noises you're hearing. I'd suggest laying under the car while someone else pushes that corner of the bumper up and down. You will likely be able to see / hear the source of the problem. Look for cracked / malformed bushings, or any play between any of the components that shouldn't have any (like between the bolt and bushings on your shocks, control arm and knuckle, etc.). Also, don't forget to check your spare tire - I once was chasing a "rear suspension squeak" and figured out (eventually) it was the spare tire moving around because it was a little loose.

FWIW, do some research if you do find that the problem seems to be the rear sway bar bushings - they're "interesting" to replace. ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Habby.

Great idea, I will recheck the spare tire, especially since the clunking is worse after some rough roads yesterday. I have already double checked the jack to make sure it was secure.

And chances are, I'll hand this bushing replacement off to a professional as it seems to be a bit out of my wheelhouse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just to update everyone. I pulled the wheel off and nothing seemed loose so I just put a wrench on the top bolt holding the shock in, and gave it a quarter turn and voila, problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.