Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

While in service today, I was informed that the rear shock absorber had a small oil leak on my 2008 MDX. Few questions for the group:
1. How bad does that sound?
2. Are we talking repair or replacement?
3. How much would it be?
4. Do it at Acura or indy mechanic or DIY?
5. What does shock absorber mean? Shocks or struts or the whole assembly?
6. How immediate does this project have to be?
7. Should I do front and rear at same time or just rear for now?

Thanks all.

Regards
Saurabh Rana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Q

Why didn't you ask the mechanic these questions when they informed you the strut was leaking?

Q: How bad does that sound?
A: It sounds like something you should take care of. It's not going to prevent you from driving to the grocery store... But I would still get it addressed.

Q: Are we talking repair or replacement?
A: Replacement.

Q: How much would it be?
A: A new strut is approximately $90 on Rock Auto. Labor will be $50-100, imo.

Q: Do it at Acura or indy mechanic or DIY?
A: Up to you. If you have a shop that you usually use, then go there. I'm a big proponent of DIY for MOST things... But I don't like disassembling struts (dangerous). I would DIY the removal/installation of the strut assembly, and then take it to a shop so they can compress the spring and swap the strut cartridge for a new one. I think that's the best compromise between cost, quality, and safety.

Q: What does shock absorber mean? Shocks or struts or the whole assembly?
A: A shock and strut are basically the same thing... It's a pressurized gas cylinder. Assuming your spring and hardware are okay, then you can replace just the strut cartridge.

Q: How immediate does this project have to be?
A: I would do it as soon as you reasonably can. If addressing the leaking strut would prevent you from putting food on the table, then I would defer the repair... But I would take care of it as soon as you reasonably can. Struts affect the handling of your vehicle (safety + comfort) and worn shocks/struts can cause premature/uneven tire wear -- costing you more money.

Q: Should I do front and rear at same time or just rear for now?
A: If you can afford to do so, I'd replace all 4 with a new matching set.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Do you have a sport model?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why didn't you ask the mechanic these questions when they informed you the strut was leaking?

Q: How bad does that sound?

A: It sounds like something you should take care of. It's not going to prevent you from driving to the grocery store... But I would still get it addressed.

Q: Are we talking repair or replacement?

A: Replacement.

Q: How much would it be?

A: A new strut is approximately $90 on Rock Auto. Labor will be $50-100, imo.

Q: Do it at Acura or indy mechanic or DIY?

A: Up to you. If you have a shop that you usually use, then go there. I'm a big proponent of DIY for MOST things... But I don't like disassembling struts (dangerous). I would DIY the removal/installation of the strut assembly, and then take it to a shop so they can compress the spring and swap the strut cartridge for a new one. I think that's the best compromise between cost, quality, and safety.

Q: What does shock absorber mean? Shocks or struts or the whole assembly?

A: A shock and strut are basically the same thing... It's a pressurized gas cylinder. Assuming your spring and hardware are okay, then you can replace just the strut cartridge.

Q: How immediate does this project have to be?

A: I would do it as soon as you reasonably can. If addressing the leaking strut would prevent you from putting food on the table, then I would defer the repair... But I would take care of it as soon as you reasonably can. Struts affect the handling of your vehicle (safety + comfort) and worn shocks/struts can cause premature/uneven tire wear -- costing you more money.

Q: Should I do front and rear at same time or just rear for now?

A: If you can afford to do so, I'd replace all 4 with a new matching set.

My wife took it in. I preferred posting here than calling them back immediately. With this information I could have a more intelligent conversation. Acura is quoting me 800 CAD. I wonder if it’s the same thing? He mentioned they will suggest to replace the whole housing.

I am thinking I buy the parts and get my indy mechanic to quote me for the labor. I like that guy, has been in the market for 30 years.

Thanks. I appreciate all the details.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
If your MDX is under 100,000 miles (160,000 Km), Acura has an extended warranty to cover defective magnetic shock/struts. Out of pocket cost if you are over the extended warranty period can be very expensive to replace with OEM magnetic shocks. Most folks just replace the bad rear two shock and leave the front magnetic struts alone because of the cost to do all 4. The bad thing about the magnetic shocks/struts are they can last another 100,000 miles or start to fail next week (reason for the extended warranty).

Some folks just convert to regular struts/shocks and add an resistor to turn off the ADS warning for less money for just doing the rears with OEM replacements at the dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your MDX is under 100,000 miles (160,000 Km), Acura has an extended warranty to cover defective magnetic shock/struts. Out of pocket cost if you are over the extended warranty period can be very expensive to replace with OEM magnetic shocks. Most folks just replace the bad rear two shock and leave the front magnetic struts alone because of the cost to do all 4. The bad thing about the magnetic shocks/struts are they can last another 100,000 miles or start to fail next week (reason for the extended warranty).

Some folks just convert to regular struts/shocks and add an resistor to turn off the ADS warning for less money for just doing the rears with OEM replacements at the dealership.

Interesting. I don’t know if that warranty cover was extended to canada.

Also since mine is just the rear shocker, I am assuming that would not be included anyways. Mechanic didn’t say anything about the front ones.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Rear shocks seem to be very easy to do. Completely unlike the front two. So assuming you can get the bolts off (that is a BIG assumption), replacing rear shocks should be a very very DIY project. The question is whether you want to replace both rear shocks at the same time. No need to touch the front one.

This is for non-sports model. I know nothing about the story for sports models.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Interesting. I don’t know if that warranty cover was extended to canada.

Also since mine is just the rear shocker, I am assuming that would not be included anyways. Mechanic didn’t say anything about the front ones.

The Acura extended warranty for the magnetic suspension was offered first in Canada before the USA. I think the 07 MDX might be aged out even if they are under mileage? Might have to talk to the service manager to get the details to make sure the 08 MDX are not aged out also.

Are you under the 160,000 Km?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Acura extended warranty for the magnetic suspension was offered first in Canada before the USA. I think the 07 MDX might be aged out even if they are under mileage? Might have to talk to the service manager to get the details to make sure the 08 MDX are not aged out also.

Are you under the 160,000 Km?

Yes I am still at 135k. Was it 10 year extension? Then I have a couple of months. Can you guide me to the correct technical bulletin?

·
Registered
793 Posts
If the warranty extension has expired and you don't want to pay a total of $4,000 US, to eventually have all 4 done (and all 4 will eventually fail), when converting from ADS to non ADS shocks, you can do just the rear.

You'll need to put the interior's sport/comfort button into the "sport position", disconnect the battery, and unplug the rear shock's electrical connector.
With the new non ADS shocks installed, you will have no place to reconnect the old shock's electrical connector. You will tape a resistor in to the electrical connector, to trick the computer. If the resistor comes out, you'll get a warning displayed (see below).

The rear resistors are by Mouser #71-cp00102r000ke14 = 2 ohm by 10 watt.

Never try to use the interior's sport/comfort button again...never. You will only confuse the computer.
If you do and a warning becomes displayed, you'll need to put the button in to the "sport position", disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes, then reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.