Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed rear collision sensor or camera after-market.
I'm curious if my 02 is prewired for the sensor.
My wife already hit a Civic while backing out of a spot!

Thanks
Mark

GG 02 MDX -hers

2000 black Mustang GT convertible -his

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Pre-wired???

The Honda/Acura rear sensor system only draws dc power from a line that is active when in reverse, so in sense, the prewiring is there...

This is a somewhat involved installation, drilling into the rear bumpercover...

The rear view camera from Honda/Acura is very pricey, lists over $700. You can do much better aftermarket...

·
Registered
392 Posts
GG02-Mark said:
Has anyone installed rear collision sensor or camera after-market.
I'm curious if my 02 is prewired for the sensor.
My wife already hit a Civic while backing out of a spot!

Thanks
Mark

GG 02 MDX -hers

2000 black Mustang GT convertible -his
there are alot of folks who have installed collision sensors and cameras too. I recently installed the poron micro3s and think it is a big plus. Do a search on poron and also on backup cameras. The poron's are $129 if you mention this site when you call up to order. The installation will take an hour or two, but if i had to do it over, i'd say i could now do it in 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi, everybody, I'm new to the site--
Just curious-
how do the aftermarket backup sensors compare to the Acura-installed ones? Don't worry about detail, I'm just curious about a future purchase of one.
Thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
They all work basically the same. There is no difference other than how the sensors
are installed on the rear and what the display looks like in the 'cockpit'.
I got a cheapie and it works just great! I was in a tight parallel parking spot the other day and needed to back up a bit to get out.
I watched as the display clicked off how many feet I was from the car in the rear as I backed slowly, stopped and pulled out easy.
I think they should be standard equipment. It's amazing the amount of money Acura wants for theirs.
I didn't go with the Poron because I have a GoRhino hitch step in my trailer hitch most of the time.
So I got a system that puts the sensors on the bumper instead of under it.
But either way, I would say get it, or go all the way and get a camera system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some threads mentioned that Poron might not work if hitch is installed (I have one). Can someone confirm/deny if this is a problem.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
GG02-Mark said:
Some threads mentioned that Poron might not work if hitch is installed (I have one). Can someone confirm/deny if this is a problem.

Thanks
Mark
You might do some searches. I do recall someone said it was feasible to put the sensors below the hitch, the center one offset from the hitch receiver.
If you have anything like the 'hitch step' installed the sensor(s) will get a reflection resulting in a false reading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts