Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
If you guys think that PCV valve is causing leaks, my suggestions is to remove it. Add a breather filter or a open vent catch can.
You mean removing the breather tube that run from the front valve cover to the manifold and add a catch can? I am not sure what you mean by removing the PCV valve. Remove it and replace with something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
You mean removing the breather tube that run from the front valve cover to the manifold and add a catch can? I am not sure what you mean by removing the PCV valve.

Remove valve and add catch can, or a breather filter....

·
Registered
537 Posts
no, but i am running catch cans on my Infiniti.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Btw that post you quoted is talking about 3.5 engine, not sure if the instructions would be same for the 3.7 in 2G MDX.
I received the PCV valve today and want to know what is the bolt size that fit into this hole for removing without breaking the stem inside the valve cover?

5/16 - 24 bolt fits perfect put a bolt in your new pcv before u install it and leave it there so next time u change it the bolt will all ready be there got one in mine

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Today I removed the manifold cover and looked very clean just very little oil residual (maybe the PCV ventilation is not working or block and that is why is is clean?) and as well as the EGR port and EGR valve (just normal very fine dark carbon dust on the surface.) Cleaned everything with brake cleaner and buttoned everything back.

Then I replaced the PCV valve with a new one. The old PCV valve didn’t make any rattles when shakes (probably it was soaked with oil and the moving parts can’t be moved easily by shaking. I noticed oil is dripping out the holes on the PCV valve.) After I cleaned with a brake cleaner really well I can hear the rattle but not as loud as the new part. Not sure the old PCV valve is still good or not.

The PCV tube from the front valve cover to the manifold is very clean.

Started the car and drove it for 30 minutes and everything run normal as before.

I will keep checking the oil leak at the rear main seal.

After all this I thought maybe thicker oil (5w-30) is too thick and it is restricting the PCV valve’s movement and its ventilation system and maybe caused a pressure buildup in the crankcase and this caused the oil leak at the RMS. What is your thought? Go back with the manufacture’s recommended oil (0w-20)?

How does the PCV ventilation flow path travel? Does it travel from the crankcase through the PCV valve, the front valve cover, the PCV tube, manifold, rear valve cover and back to the crankcase?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am thinking to leave the oil dipstick port partially open(don’t push the dipstick all the way in) to vent out the oil pressure buildup in the crankcase. Will this trigger oil pressure sensor or any other sensors?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am thinking to leave the oil dipstick port partially open(don’t push the dipstick all the way in) to vent out the oil pressure buildup in the crankcase. Will this trigger oil pressure sensor or any other sensors?

Bad idea, please, don't do that.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am leaving the dipstick unplugged like and keep driving for a while and see if that fix my RMS leak.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts