Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about cleaning the valve cover if you have a rear main seal leak? Did he said remove the front and rear valve covers? And where on the valve cover is the ventilation to clean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
I think what he's trying to say is that in case of a rear seal leak instead of replacing it (which is a pretty expensive endeavour), try and clean the PCV. If the valve is clogged, it might be the reason it's not releasing the crank pressure, which is, in its turn, causing the rear seal to leak (basically pressing the oil out). It might work to at least reduce the leak if you are lucky.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think what he's trying to say is that in case of a rear seal leak instead of replacing it (which is a pretty expensive endeavour), try and clean the PCV. If the valve is clogged, it might be the reason it's not releasing the crank pressure, which is, in its turn, causing the rear seal to leak (basically pressing the oil out). It might work to at least reduce the leak if you are lucky.
I had replaced the PCV valve before (very simple job) but he mentioned about removing the valve covers to clean the ventilation inside it. That is a lot of work. I had removed the valve covers (front and rear) before and it is not fun. I just want to make sure he meant not only replacing the PCV valve but also to clean the ventilation inside the valve cover.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just want to make sure he meant not only replacing the PCV valve but also to clean the ventilation inside the valve cover.
Not sure what ventilation other than PCV he is talking about. The valve covers should seal the heads properly with the help of the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals. There is no other ventilation except for the PCV.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think that he's saying 2 things.
1. If you remove the valve covers, you can clean any carbon gunk, which may restrict air movement in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. My opinion is... you need to remove the intake manifold to get to the EGR passages, which usually get clogged.
2. Replace your PCV valve, because if it's stuck closed, it will stop all air movement.

Note...the air that I'm talking isn't clean air. It's saturated with burnt oil residue, aka pollution.

Now, on to an inexpensive solution (AT-205 RE-Seal) to fix your rear main seal leak.
If it's not pouring/gushing/flowing out, of your rear seal, you can add an 8 oz. bottle of at-205 additive, which will cause your rubber rear seal to swell.

The stuff works best in clean oil, so you might want to get 9 quarts of 5w-20 dino conventional oil and 2 Fram oil filters, to flush out your engine, over 2 fifty mile trips.
Then put full synthetic, high mileage, Valvoline or Pennzoil, with a good Bosch D3323 filter and a full 8 oz. bottle of AT-205 Re-Seal.
Each time that the MDX is due for an oil change, you only need to change the filter, change the oil, and add another 8 oz of at-205.

This will cost about $75 if you do it your self and that's not much of a risk if it doesn't work, but it will work.
Remember, it will not stop leaks that are already flowing, but it will stop drips.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am not sure, but he might be talking about valve cover leak.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that he's saying 2 things.
1. If you remove the valve covers, you can clean any carbon gunk, which may restrict air movement in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. My opinion is... you need to remove the intake manifold to get to the EGR passages, which usually get clogged.
2. Replace your PCV valve, because if it's stuck closed, it will stop all air movement.

Note...the air that I'm talking isn't clean air. It's saturated with burnt oil residue, aka pollution.

Now, on to an inexpensive solution (AT-205 RE-Seal) to fix your rear main seal leak.
If it's not pouring/gushing/flowing out, of your rear seal, you can add an 8 oz. bottle of at-205 additive, which will cause your rubber rear seal to swell.

The stuff works best in clean oil, so you might want to get 9 quarts of 5w-20 dino conventional oil and 2 Fram oil filters, to flush out your engine, over 2 fifty mile trips.
Then put full synthetic, high mileage, Valvoline or Pennzoil, with a good Bosch D3323 filter and a full 8 oz. bottle of AT-205 Re-Seal.
Each time that the MDX is due for an oil change, you only need to change the filter, change the oil, and add another 8 oz of at-205.

This will cost about $75 if you do it your self and that's not much of a risk if it doesn't work, but it will work.
Remember, it will not stop leaks that are already flowing, but it will stop drips.
Ok. I will probably remove the intake manifold cover. I had tried the 2 bottle of AT-205 Re-Seal and it doesn’t seem to work for me.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what ventilation other than PCV he is talking about. The valve covers should seal the heads properly with the help of the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals. There is no other ventilation except for the PCV.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received the PCV valve today and want to know what is the bolt size that fit into this hole for removing without breaking the stem inside the valve cover?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
as far as i can remember, this is no bolt for that hole. There is one for the other. Either 10mm or 12mm.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as far as i can remember, this is no bolt for that hole. There is one for the other. Either 10mm or 12mm.
A while back Someone on here mentioned that you can find a bolt from home Depot that can be threaded into this hole snuggly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A while back Someone on here mentioned that you can find a bolt from home Depot that can be threaded into this hole snuggly.

And why would you need to thread bolt down there?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And why would you need to thread bolt down there?
It is for a gripping when you try to remove from the valve cover. A lot of folks broke the stem and it stuck inside the valve cover because the plastic becomes brittle over time and it will snapped if not careful removing it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It is for a gripping when you try to remove from the valve cover.
That's in case you break it.

Instead of pulling the valve out right away, gently rock it back and forth in the socket to make sure it's moving without any issues, then continue slowly rocking and pull it out at the same time.

See here for visual:

·
Registered
537 Posts
It is for a gripping when you try to remove from the valve cover. A lot of folks broke the stem and it stuck inside the valve cover because the plastic becomes brittle over time and it will snapped if not careful removing it.

I think this is more common problem for 07-09 models. My came out without any hesitation..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes there is a ventilation system actually pretty intricate on the valve covers I've already replaced my pcv valve before of course this is on a 2003 mdx similar enough lol... i had a slight rear main seal leak it never really hit the ground except a rare occasion of a drop or 2 but after cleaning the ventilation system the rear main seal leak is gone...

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes there is a ventilation system actually pretty intricate on the valve covers I've already replaced my pcv valve before of course this is on a 2003 mdx similar enough lol... i had a slight rear main seal leak it never really hit the ground except a rare occasion of a drop or 2 but after cleaning the ventilation system the rear main seal leak is gone...
Is the ventilation inside the front and rear valve cover?

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you guys think that PCV valve is causing leaks, my suggestions is to remove it. Add a breather filter or a open vent catch can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts