Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '14 MDX and have a question regarding central locking function with rear hatch use.

I am used to cars with keyless entry when opening the rear hatch and closing it with the switch on the hatch itself, the doors either do not unlock with the hatch opening, or do unlock, but when closing the hatch with the closing switch on it, the doors lock again.

On my MDX however, When opening the hatch with the switch on the hatch, the doors unlock too, when closing the hatch the doors stay unlocked and I have to lock them myself either using the pushbutton on a door handle or with the remote.

Weird and irritating, as having to lock the doors seperatly can easily be forgotten after using just the rear hatch, thus leaving the doors unlocked.

Is this normal? Is there a setting to change this?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I believe you have two options.

1) You can use the button on the hatch to lock the doors as soon as the lift gate is closed, as opposed to walking around to a door. Or

2) You can set the options to automatically lock the vehicle when the key FOB “leaves”. I don’t remember the exact location in the settings, but I believe that there may even be a timer for how long the vehicle waits before automatically locking the vehicle again. I don’t have mine turned on because I often park it in the garage at home and don’t want it automatically locking all the time. But I remember seeing something about it when first setting up the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have a '14 MDX and have a question regarding central locking function with rear hatch use.

I am used to cars with keyless entry when opening the rear hatch and closing it with the switch on the hatch itself, the doors either do not unlock with the hatch opening, or do unlock, but when closing the hatch with the closing switch on it, the doors lock again.

On my MDX however, When opening the hatch with the switch on the hatch, the doors unlock too, when closing the hatch the doors stay unlocked and I have to lock them myself either using the pushbutton on a door handle or with the remote.

Weird and irritating, as having to lock the doors seperatly can easily be forgotten after using just the rear hatch, thus leaving the doors unlocked.

Is this normal? Is there a setting to change this?
My 14 did that. They have since changed that. The rear hatch is independent of the other locks now. On my 17.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've had my 14 for 5.5 years and don't actually know the answer because I always just lock the thing with the remote or with the door handle button when I'm leaving it. I don't find it annoying at all and since it's a habit I'm in I'll never make a mistake of thinking it's locked when it isn't.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just lock everything out of habit, and don't expect the world to read my mind. But then I am 68 so maybe it is a generational thing. In fact I have a 50 year old collector car with hand cranks to roll down the windows and buttons to lock the doors. That doesn't bother me either.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use the door lock button on the rear hatch once it is closed - no need to use a door button or fob. It is on the right side, on the horizontal bit above the license plates.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the door lock button on the rear hatch once it is closed - no need to use a door button or fob. It is on the right side, on the horizontal bit above the license plates.

What year is your MDX?
My '14 MDX Adv/Ent doesn't have a lock button on the outside rear hatch, only an opening button in the middle above the license plate and close button on the right inside edge, no lock button afaik

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
What year is your MDX?
My '14 MDX Adv/Ent doesn't have a lock button on the outside rear hatch, only an opening button in the middle above the license plate and close button on the right inside edge, no lock button afaik
Yes it does. It is all the way to the right of the middle open button. Just go to the middle button and move all the way to the right. There is a button to lock the doors. You can’t see it standing up behind the car. Unless you are 4 ft tall.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also, it doesn't feel or look like a button: it is a flat rectangle of rubber. Just push on it. I have a 2016 but the 2014 is almost identical except for the transmission.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it does. It is all the way to the right of the middle open button. Just go to the middle button and move all the way to the right. There is a button to lock the doors. You can’t see it standing up behind the car. Unless you are 4 ft tall.

Thanks :29:, that button was well hidden, hadn't seen it for over 1 1/2 years of ownership, as if there was one, I expected it to be next to the closing button on the inside edge.

Still don't get it why with the car locked and pushing the hatch opening button, all doors unlock too, I may just want to put something in the boot and leave again.
Doors will unlock anyway when I want to enter.

Also, you have to wait for the very slow hatch to close fully before you can use it to lock the car.. Locking button on outside of hatch not very handy location.

On other one of my cars, when opening just the hatch with the opening button on it, the doors stay locked, much better.
Also on that car there are 2 buttons on the inside edge of the hatch: 1 to just close and the other to close and lock all, also much handier. Just push close and lock and walk away when the hatch starts closing, everything will lock when closed.

Acura does have a few not very logical things....:|

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
As stated before. Acura has since modified the operation. Don’t know why it was like that originally. I didn’t like it. Especially for security for wife.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I do agree that it’s annoying to need to wait until the liftgate is completely closed before you can lock the vehicle again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you missed this one then consider spending some time with the manual; there are tons of obscure features. Unfortunately the car only comes with the owner's manual on CD in the leather wallet. The original owner can get a free printed manual on request, which I find is useful to have in the glove box; I'm not sure if second owners can get one. PDF files can be downloaded from the owners site, and at least for the 2016 they have made updates: I have version 3.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you missed this one then consider spending some time with the manual; there are tons of obscure features. Unfortunately the car only comes with the owner's manual on CD in the leather wallet. The original owner can get a free printed manual on request, which I find is useful to have in the glove box; I'm not sure if second owners can get one. PDF files can be downloaded from the owners site, and at least for the 2016 they have made updates: I have version 3.

I have all the new with the car supplied owners/ adv-ent and nav manuals. By the way, I also found the owners manual online and downloaded that too, think I know most features, also in this forum there is a topic about "hidden features" (or unknown, can't remember the exact title) with some additional info.

As all cars that I know with a closing button on the hatch always have the close AND lock button next to it, I never thought of looking for such a button in a totally different position than the closing button is on the MDX hatch....:1pat:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Because the last time I bought a car was 1985 (Nissan Maxima SE) I was pretty much forced to read the manual, and I wasn't encumbered with experience with different models. It was a very steep learning curve, made a little easier by sticking with the Base SH-AWD. I am still expanding usage of some of the features. I suspect a lot of owners don't use many of the features as it is such a job to learn them all.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have all the new with the car supplied owners/ adv-ent and nav manuals. By the way, I also found the owners manual online and downloaded that too, think I know most features, also in this forum there is a topic about "hidden features" (or unknown, can't remember the exact title) with some additional info.

As all cars that I know with a closing button on the hatch always have the close AND lock button next to it, I never thought of looking for such a button in a totally different position than the closing button is on the MDX hatch....:1pat:
Since the close button is inside the car,the lock button can’t be next to it. Since the lock button is out of reach when the hatch is up,that doesn’t work.
First world problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the close button is inside the car,the lock button can’t be next to it. Since the lock button is out of reach when the hatch is up,that doesn’t work.
First world problems.

Many other manufacturers have no problem making a much more logical setup: close and close+lock buttons next to each other on the inside edge of the hatch.

Push only left button and hatch closes, nothing else.
Push only right button and walk away, hatch closes and everything locks at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Many other manufacturers have no problem making a much more logical setup: close and close+lock buttons next to each other on the inside edge of the hatch.

Push only left button and hatch closes, nothing else.
Push only right button and walk away, hatch closes and everything locks at the same time.
You’re right. I guess Acura liked to do its own thing. Maybe it was to save money.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You’re right. I guess Acura liked to do its own thing. Maybe it was to save money.
In many instances it seems like oversight on acuras part or else the focus groups they use to provide usability and user friendly feedback to their design teams isn't very good. There are lots of things that with small tweaks would be much more useful and user friendly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't see a problem. The engineers designed the car to be locked and unlocked with the fob. You walk up the car unlocks. You walk away and press the lock button. done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts