Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2003 MDX has around 202,000 miles. We've owned it about 7 months. It has always had a quirk but it's gotten worse. When you turn right while accelerating there is a load groan from the right rear wheel area. It happens in forward and reverse. Doesn't happen while coasting and turning. I've had my wife and daughters sit and back and confirm the noise location. Any ideas as to what would cause this.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I forgot about that since the MDX isn't AWD
All 2003 MDXs are AWD. It didn't become optional ( for better or worse ) until the 3rd-gen ( 2014+ ).

Agree with rear differential fluid change as a first step ( cheap and easy ). But it could be a wheel bearing ( less cheap and easy ), or internal failure of the AWD rear differential ( much less cheap and easy ).

·
Registered
270 Posts
All 2003 MDXs are AWD. It didn't become optional ( for better or worse ) until the 3rd-gen ( 2014+ ).

Agree with rear differential fluid change as a first step ( cheap and easy ). But it could be a wheel bearing ( less cheap and easy ), or internal failure of the AWD rear differential ( much less cheap and easy ).
They are? Then what's the point of VTM-4?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Those documents are a great "long form". The "short form" is: VTM-4 is a type of AWD ( all-wheel-drive ).

In VTM-4, the driveshaft to the rear is driven off the front transaxle via a fixed hypoid gear set ( front transfer case ) and the driveshaft is always turning along with the front wheels. Electrically actuated clutches in the rear differential transfer torque to the rear wheels upon demand. Thus, unlike some AWD systems that have an active center differential, the rear differential is the heart of the VTM-4 system. The clutches in the VTM-4 rear diff are subject to wear. And it's important to change the rear diff fluid regularly because friction modifiers in the fluid become depleted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts