Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to wire up rear fogs on their 3rd Gen MDX?

I noticed that the reflectors on the lower portion of the rear bumpers have a plugged off spot where a bulb holder would go (most likely for the rear fogs), but I've not found a word about anyone installing the rear fogs nor any pictures anywhere on the interwebs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Rear Fog Lights???

Why would you want rear fog lights?

Am I missing something?

If you check your state vehicle laws, you will probably find that white lights visible on the rear of a vehicle while travelling in a forward direction are illegal. Notice the term "visible" this excludes license plate bulbs, which are why they are always hidden and only the illumination hits the plate. Furthermore, in many states, I think that all lights visible to the rear must be red, with the exception of turn signals, but this I would have to do more research on.

So that being said, are you trying to make your "Back Up lights more effective? I can surely see the need for that

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Rear fog lights make the specific red rear portion brighter when the front fog lights are on. Making the car more visible in fog.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rear fog lights make the specific red rear portion brighter when the front fog lights are on. Making the car more visible in fog.
And for people in America that don't know what rear fog lights are (usually seen on Mercedes, Minis, and VWs), they are effectively rear highbeams that are turned on at night in clear weather.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump...

rear fogs are a safety issue. I had them on the X5 I just got rid of and a couple other cars too. Way easier to be seen from behind in fog, heavy rain, snow, etc.

The MDX has the capability for them and I want to know how to get them to work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And for people in America that don't know what rear fog lights are (usually seen on Mercedes, Minis, and VWs), they are effectively rear highbeams that are turned on at night in clear weather.
That's actually pretty funny :D I can't tell you how many times I see ppl around here in Monterey with them turned on on their Mercs, Bimmers and Volvos in clear weather...daylight even. I only turned mine on when they were actually needed.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
The rear fogs are used for bad weather, like to penetrate the fog layer or super heavy rainfall so that someone doesn't rear end you. Your standard brake lights are either 1) not bright enough in continuous illumination mode or 2) require your headlights to be on to illuminate, which actually creates a hazardous forward lighting condition, so just having a rear fog on allows you to be spotted while not creating a hazardous forward lighting situation. I actually prefer not to leave them on in clear weather unless I'm out in rural areas with little other lighting.

I'll look under there next time I'm servicing the MDX. It helps on my winter trips to have it available during snowfall.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
bump...

rear fogs are a safety issue. I had them on the X5 I just got rid of and a couple other cars too. Way easier to be seen from behind in fog, heavy rain, snow, etc.

The MDX has the capability for them and I want to know how to get them to work.
I've had them on several cars. One time someone told me I had a bad tail light because I only had 1 bright light. Generally euro cars have them. Though I think I had an olds aurora that had a rear fog light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to wire up rear fogs on their 3rd Gen MDX?

I noticed that the reflectors on the lower portion of the rear bumpers have a plugged off spot where a bulb holder would go (most likely for the rear fogs), but I've not found a word about anyone installing the rear fogs nor any pictures anywhere on the interwebs.
I'm guessing Acura will add illuminated rear reflector lights for the MMY change, and maybe even folding mirrors, who knows.....I had a 2003, and in 2004 for the MMY they added dual exhaust that also added 5 add'l horsepower.......just a guess....

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Just remembered the MDX prototype had some rear lights in the rear reflectors:

I wonder if it was just something deleted last minute?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rear fog lights are required by law in the EU. The US regulators don't care less about safety.
Most European cars don't make it over here because they can't pass the crash test rating in place for US cars. They usually require extra bracing that European laws do not require.

I have been driving in Chicago for close to 30 years and I have never seen rear white lights on with any vehicle. In Illinois, it is required to have your headlights on during rain so the standard rear indicator lights are lit up. I have never had a problem seeing those through the rain/fog.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Most European cars don't make it over here because they can't pass the crash test rating in place for US cars. They usually require extra bracing that European laws do not require.

I have been driving in Chicago for close to 30 years and I have never seen rear white lights on with any vehicle. In Illinois, it is required to have your headlights on during rain so the standard rear indicator lights are lit up. I have never had a problem seeing those through the rain/fog.
Rear fog lights are not white. They are red. My Saabs had them. My Volvo has it.
Yes,in Illinois headlights are required when raining. However,it is still amazing to me how many people drive without them. Even when it's pouring and dark,people don't have lights on. I wish they would be ticketed for stupidity.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Rear fog lights are never white in any country, they are a higher intensity red and are only to be used in reduced visibility. When used in fog, for example, you can see the car in front when you cannot see cars without them. They are a great idea but it requires the correct use as some people leave them on when not required and they are very bright so you will get "flashed" from behind if you leave them on when they are unnecessary.

There are a lot of cars that turn your lights on if your wipers have been in use for approx. 20 seconds but the MDX doesn't. Having lights on in the rain is the law in California too but turning them on involves putting the cell phone down so most drivers here don't do it.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yeah you'll have two indicators and usually an additional button in the lower left side of the dash (not enough room on the light stalk usually!) to activate it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There has been an argument in the USA that the rear fog lights may be mistaken for brake lights or other lighting indications which is kind of ironic that the US continent is the only location where they allow red lights for lights, fog lights, brake lights and indicators. The US really should wake up and get better lighting systems on cars. I find it amazing that manufacturers remove useful features for the US that are normal in their country of origin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, you realize that we're in a country that didn't allow H4 bulbs until the mid-80s which Europe had back to the 60s...we were stuck with sealed beams. Acura fought tooth-and-nail to get the LED headlights through the DOT too as the US Gov was reluctant to allow anything different over an incandescent or arc light.

Now BMW and Audi are fighting again to get laser headlights passed. This country's lighting laws are far behind the rest of the 1st world

1 - 20 of 46 Posts