Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post - I have learned a bunch from this forum - thanks to everyone who contributes.

Bought a 2001 MDX Touring about 7 months ago - been running good.

Recently I decided to have the spark plugs changed to try and resolve some minor idle issues. I also personally cleaned the MAP sensor.

The repair shop also recommended changing the tie rods, and replacing the CV boots since one was leaking.

Oddly after getting it back, I noticed a shudder that feels like it's coming from the rear - it only occurs just before the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Seems to be nearly the same whether turning or going straight - easier acceleration does seem to lessen the effects, but definitely still there.

1. I don't see anything the shop could've done to cause this to start happening, yet it bothers me that I didn't really notice it before.

2. I have read the tech bulletin regarding rear end "judder".

Does this sound like the same problem in the bulletin, or something completely different?

Otherwise transmission seems to be working well.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance. Hoping to get 2-4 years out of this vehicle if possible (or longer if it is working well).

Jim

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Do the change yourself is very easy and saves money from the stealership, If the fluid hasn´t been done in your ownership perhaps its long overdue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the change yourself is very easy and saves money from the stealership, If the fluid hasn´t been done in your ownership perhaps its long overdue.
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning to do it myself, just wondering if I'm on the right path.

I assume you would've said if you thought otherwise.

I will make plans to do this soon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Torque convertor is a potential source of shuddering in 1st-gen MDXs. It wouldn't hurt to change transmission fluid while you're at it.

Also, inspect the hose connections at the bottom of the radiator and check the condition of the ATF and the engine coolant. A well-documented failure of the the internal seals in the radiator can result in mixing of ATF and engine coolant, because of the ATF cooler internal to the radiator. This will kill the transmission. If your coolant looks like strawberry smoothie, that's a very bad sign and you need immediate repair. I would hope dealer service would have caught this, but it can happen at any time.

I don't want to fear monger, but I got burned by this on a 2003 MDX and it cost me a transmission. I'm not alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts