Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 of the middle "threads" of the rear defroster appear to be "dead".

A thick line of fog and/or ice remains right in the middle of the rear window after I use the defroster. Anyone knows if a new one can be "pasted" in place of the old one or the entire window needs to be replaced? :(

·
Registered
446 Posts
I thought so

Vip9. This doesn't really answer your question but I was sure I once saw repair kits for this but last fall when I went looking to fix my daughter's car (same problem as you and I could see the break) I could not find the stuff. So I will also be interested with the responses.

Good luck
Niles

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
DaleB said:
Often repairs can be affected for small hair-line cracks in the elements. They use a conductive epoxy. It is unusual to have more than one crack. I would think the dealer would replace the whole element, especially if it's a manufacturing defect with no obvious external damage.

I would assume they would need to replace the whole glass as opposed to just making a quick fix.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I were you,

I'd make the dealer change the whole thing.

Cause how do you know the rest won't break?

Since it's gonna be free, just replace it.

:4:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Warranty???

Am I missing something?:confused: Doesn't the MDX have the same kind of defrosters that has been used for years? Some sort of tape on the inside of the glass. I wouldn't think this would be a warranty item. But maybe. We the users can damage these things. That's way it is recommended to clean the inside of back windows with side to side swipes.

Niles

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I'm not positive, but I believe that the "stripes" are made of a conductive ceramic/metallic slurry that is silk-screened onto the glass, and then low-temperature "fired" onto the glass. If it can't be repaired with a conductive-epoxy compound, I'd expect that the whole window would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I remember reading a Honda tech bulletin for repairing these (can't remember where I saw it - NHTSA, maybe?) but the solution was to "repaint" the gridline w/a special metallic paint. According to the bulletin, there was a certain max length for which it was feasible -- like an inch or two. Otherwise, the glass gets replaced.

Had the same problem w/an 85 Mitsu right out of the gate; they needed to replace the glass as the repaint was ineffective.

Regardless, this is a warranty item IMO unless you were scraping away on the inside of the glass (not likely).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts