Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on the lifting the rear cylinder head off..
While changing the timing belt, I damaged my valve(s) by rotating the cam pulley by hand using a breaker bar. :frown2: I rotated the rear cam (cylinders 1,2, and 3) 360 degrees with the belt off. That caused valve damage. So, now I am removing the cylinder head. I have disconnected all items from the head including, exhaust manifold, coolant connector, various wires and clips. While being careful to keep the head level, I am able to the raise the head about half an inch. Then it gets hung up and it seems like it is internal to the head. I am not able to see or feel any external hang up including the exhaust. Any ideas what is causing this snag? I have stood over the engine with the hood off, attempting to lift the head, but I cannot get past that point. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Have you removed the harness to the AF and O2 sensor from lower side of cylinder head? I left this in place while adjusting valves and replacing cylinder head cover gasket, but I could see this as major impediment to cylinder head removal.

A sticking head gasket might cause your symptoms.

I attached removal procedure from shop manual.

There is another post by tsnoop05 who has removed cylinder head. Try contacting him.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI TexasHonda,
Thanks for the information and the link. The link I opened was to remove only the cylinder hear COVER. By any chance do you have the service manual link for the removal of the rear cylinder head itself, not just the cover.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
I meant to reply to this and was actually thinking the same as TexasHonda had said about the wiring harness. Notice the small single wire on the right which goes down to the oil pressure sensor I believe. It is held to the bracket by a small clip that's released with some needle nose pliers. The other two can be release from the bracket by hand. Its easiest to drop down in the wheel well and you'll see them from below. The thing that held me up on the rear was the exhaust, the cat should be undone from below, three 14mm nuts and one 12mm bolt. Then it can be moved towards the firewall and out of the way. Be careful if your able to get it past the dowel pins before it gets stuck as you may mar the mounting surface trying to wrestle it off.

Well I guess I can't post a pic but shoot me a message and I can email it to you if you need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts