Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the rear camera on our 2014 MDX is blurry. Wiping does not help. Dealer today quoted ... wait for it... $604 to replace it.

I seem to see that I can buy the entire camera unit NEW on eBay for $50.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out this prior post:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks S60 - not much in those threads. We have had the car since 2014 and the camera was always fine - just the last 60 days it has gotten worse - it is impossible to see out of - I'm surprised that nobody else has had this issue (mostly cause the dealer said they had the cameras in stock?).

·
Registered
78 Posts
For $600, I’d go back to the old-fashioned way of backing up and, you know, turn my head. For $50 and some work, I’d consider replacing it myself. Is that $50 for OEM? Any YouTube videos on DIY replacement/removal? If it’s easy, I’d just remove and put the camera assy into a bag of rice for a couple days, as it sounds like it’s got moisture inside behind the lens. Could save some $$ but the moisture will probably come back if you don’t find where it came in and seal it properly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Buy an OEM camera from any number of online parts houses. Download the instructions. Other than time consuming I doubt its very hard to do.

·
Registered
713 Posts
someone here replaced the camera about a year ago and discovered that the issue is the processor in the head unit. The camera lens is not the weak link. My suggestion is change the darkness / density to see if that helps. Also if you lose a backup light at night that really makes it hard to see. People got the most bang for the buck improving their backup lights.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have had problems with moisture getting inside the lens on my RV side and rearview cameras. Makes the image very foggy. Take a close look at yours and see if there is any sign of condensation. You might also want to heat up the camera with a hair dryer to try and dry it out as a test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I have the new OEM camera in my possession. I now need to find the instructions on changing that thing out. That's the problem with Acuras - they don't break enough that there are instructions out there for things like this! Of note, the camera was awesome for the first 6 years of ownership - it now is just shot. So if anyone can point me to the how to video, that would be great :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts