Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Anyone ever put one of these on DIY? It's the brushed chrome bumper guard.

I looked at the instructions and it does not look bad.

Dealer only wants $55 to install so that is tempting as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I did a custom PPF strip on my rear bumper to cover the section the brushed chrome bumper guard and rear facing bumper (part that would get bumped or lean against). I don't know how much it cost because it was part of PPF installed on the front end.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've installed this twice - once on my '17 and then on my '19. I went off the playbook, however, since I wasn't a fan of drilling holes in the top of the bumper. I actually snipped off the plastic prongs on the protector, and put an extra layer of 3M adhesive tape alongside the one that was already on it, and simply stuck it on. Held on fine on the '17 for 2 years, and then so far 2 years on the '19 with no issues. Does a good job of protecting the to of the bumper since I'm usually sliding things in and out and using the protector to help sometimes with a bit of leverage.

andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've installed this twice - once on my '17 and then on my '19. I went off the playbook, however, since I wasn't a fan of drilling holes in the top of the bumper. I actually snipped off the plastic prongs on the protector, and put an extra layer of 3M adhesive tape alongside the one that was already on it, and simply stuck it on. Held on fine on the '17 for 2 years, and then so far 2 years on the '19 with no issues. Does a good job of protecting the to of the bumper since I'm usually sliding things in and out and using the protector to help sometimes with a bit of leverage.

andy
Wow super useful Andy. It was the drilling that made me nervous.

By extra layer, you don't mean layer on top of existing tape? You mean use existing tape and add like 1 more row on each side?

Really the screws don't affect seam, it is the tape right?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I installed it with the manual instructions, drilling is not that scare, there's nothing behind the bumper, nothing to worry, and the secure clip has some room to wiggle, so it is fine if you made a mistake like 1/4 inch away from the designed point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I second the extra row of 3M tape and stick it on, I did that to my 2018 MDX Advance. Many pieces of body trim over the years have been affixed by 3M tape and no holes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow super useful Andy. It was the drilling that made me nervous.

By extra layer, you don't mean layer on top of existing tape? You mean use existing tape and add like 1 more row on each side?

Really the screws don't affect seam, it is the tape right?
Right - a row of tape next to the existing one. Gives you a wider patch of 3M tape to adhere to the bumper. So far, so good. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
I have clear PPF applied on the rear bumper.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just did our 2020 last weekend, easy peasy. just be careful with the drilling and make triple sure it's centered and equal distance from the bumper line. i used a push pin to make the starter hole then put tape over the area and used the 3 drill sizes like the instructions said. had to use long handle needle nose to tighten the zip ties underneath, and could not cut them, but didn't see any harm in leaving the extra length

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
93 Posts
Hello,

Anyone ever put one of these on DIY? It's the brushed chrome bumper guard.

I looked at the instructions and it does not look bad.

Dealer only wants $55 to install so that is tempting as well.

Thanks
I also did mine over a year ago 3m tape. I just couldn’t bring myself to drill holes in my bumper.The tape holds just fine.And in the future if for any reason someone might want to remove or replace it no harm done.Some heat and WD40 and left with no unsightly holes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts