Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the rear bumper applique from oemacuraparts and I was under the impression it includes the 3M protective tape application solution but it does not. That solution is another $75!!

If I had known that I would've just had it installed at the dealership. Does anyone have any ideas about an alternative cheap solution that would work just as well? On acurazine someone said use 75% water, 25% alcohol, and a few drops of dishwashing detergent, but I'm not so sure about that.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Lots of vinyl installers use water with a little dish soap mixed in.

I'd make sure you clean the area first. If the vehicle has been waxed, wash the bumper with Dawn to remove the wax. If there is any grit in the paint, use a claybar, too.

Reactions: creampiggy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the purpose of the solution? Does it react with the tape backing and make it adhere to the surface?

·
Registered
144 Posts
What's the purpose of the solution? Does it react with the tape backing and make it adhere to the surface?

To prevent it from sticking before having it placed/ lined out correctly and preventing enclosing airbubbles inbetween. When pressing the liqiud out with a squegee it will stick

·
Registered
733 Posts
I change out my golf cart vinyl decals from time to time and I always use soapy water to place the more precise decals.

1. Remove all wax with BLUE Dawn and water mix or Baby Detergent and water mix.

2. Clean area with 70% isopropyl Alcohol

3. Use a clean spray bottle add water to half full and add a few drops of blue dawn or baby detergent. Shake.

4. Spray surface (mist) and spray decal (sticky side) mist.

5 Place and squeegee water and bubbles out.

6. Let dry for 30-60 min (for vinyl do not peel the transfers tape until an hour and you confirm it dried.

Practice with any sticker first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts