Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter my right rear caliper hung up on my 2008 MDX and out of the 6 parts stores in town only Auto Zone had the caliper in stock and I was in a bind I needed it next day so Auto Zone it was. When changing the pads on both sides since the auto zone pads just crumbled the left rear factory caliper was in the same bad rusted shape but timing I just needed to get the vehicle back up and couldn't address at the time.

Less than a year later the parts looked like they were in a salt lake the for the last 10 years. They looked terrible through the wheel and I couldn't take it anymore so Rock Auto got an order. I changed to Wagner e-coat rotors, Wagner OEX pads and Napa eclipse coated calipers. I wanted to try the silver coated cardone ultras but Amazon shipped one and canceled the order on the other one after being on order for a month. I sent it back and went with the Napa coated calipers as Cardone must be having trouble getting MDX cores.

I have had the e-coat rotors and oex pads on the front brakes for the last 6 months and on the front of my F150 for the last 3 months. Very happy, low dusting, very quiet and stops just like factory. You guys seem to troll around for brake opinions and referrals a lot so just sharing my information with the Wagner parts.

Here are pictures before and after:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow that looks amazing! Also, your wheels look like you could eat off of them. Bravo for taking such good care! I too had to replace my rear calipers because one had seized and was dragging bad. Decided to replace both and got the autozone calipers. They looked great when I put them on but here we are not even 4 months and they look exactly like yours did.

I don’t understand why they would remanufacture/refurbish calipers and not put some kind of sealant or rust resistant paint on them? Haven’t even gone through a winter yet and they look like garbage!

I’m also pissed off about the factory Honda rotors that look like they came from the same place the calipers did. I insist on factory rotors but looks like they’ve reduced their quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I want to put on drilled and slotted rotors just for the look and match them with Akebono pads. However, all the drilled and slotted rotors don't come with anti rust coatings. What a pity! Don't want to paint new rotors.

Also why not just paint the factory calipers before they rust beyond repair? I am in SF Bay area, and the rear calipers don't look good. In rust belt, it is a wonder they can last so long.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
682 Posts
I’m also pissed off about the factory Honda rotors that look like they came from the same place the calipers did. I insist on factory rotors but looks like they’ve reduced their quality control.
IDK, ever since I changed my brakes all around for OEM rotors and pads back in 2015, they look great! Obviously, you have to take care of your brakes and regularly service them to avoid them getting into horrible condition. But my caps are still silver albeit some rust is starting to appear on them after 4 years and about 45K miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm a big fan of the coated rotors/calipers. Seems most of the auto parts stores ones are not coated and rust shows up fairly quickly. Wagner/Raybestos have coated options available through rockauto.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mdx has 150k Chicago salt belt miles and long as I keep it looking good and dependable the wife is happy and more than willing to keep it versus a new car and payments. The Wagner e coat rotors have held up great so far. This will be the first winter for the NAPA coated eclipse calipers and fingers crossed they hold up.
The rusty parts looked just terrible and would agitate me every time I looked at them so I finally gave in and replaced everything via a great price from rock auto and being the back it just might be the last time since moving down here and only having a short daily work commute.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You have to paint / coat them yourself. I get high heat spray paint and slap on a few coats before I install them.

I too once learned my lesson by assuming they were coated. Here in NY calipers last maybe 4-5 years and clean my pins with every tire rotation. This is why shops have specials on inspections. They know 7 out of 10 cars will need some sort of work and it’s usually tires or brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts