Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 mdx AWD just got first A1 service with 7000 miles on it. The inspection sheet showed the LF/RF Brake lining 10mm, while the LR/RR lining 8mm. how come rear brake pads worn so much faster than the front and almost no wear of the front? Is it normal?
I'd appreciate it if somebody can share some information about this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Your smaller rear thickness measurement does not necessary mean your rear pads are wearing faster. My past personal observations when changing brake pads have been that rear pads are made thinner than front pads to begin with. Just to confirm, I checked the thickness of a couple pads selling at Pepboys for my 14, and indeed this is the case. The new front thickness is .667 inch, while the rear is .605.

In extreme cases (like when you brake while driving backward most of the time, etc) then your rear pads might wear faster, but all my experience have been the fronts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Generically speaking, braking is biased more heavily to the front so if the pads/rotors were the same front/back one could expect the fronts to wear faster. Having different pads/rotors front to back makes it difficult to do a direct comparison. You shouldn't be concerned about what the tech observed at this point.

I happened to just check my pads a few days ago on my 2014 MDX with around 40k miles on it. They were all surprisingly worn about the same - side to side (which one expects) and front to back. It was somewhere around 1/4 inch or so pad left all around.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my experience with the Honda's I've owned, the rear brake pads always wore out faster than the fronts. Not only do the rear pads start with less thickness, but they are significantly smaller than the fronts as well. I wouldn't find it surprising to see them wear at a faster rate than the fronts. I don't recall what the Acura tech measured my pads at during my MDX's last service. But I know that the non-Honda/Acura vehicle in my household wears out rear brakes 2 1/2 to 3 times faster than the fronts.

I think that driving style and conditions also determine the wear rate on the front and rear brakes. Brake systems automatically proportion the amount of braking force between the front and rear axles. If a driver tends to brake early and more progressively, I would think that the rear brakes do more work and the fronts do less when compared to having a driver who tends to brake late.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts