Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Rear brake pad shift noise

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  merrillcrosbie 
#1 ·
I am sure all you owners are familiar with this...the click you hear when you first back up and stop, or the first forward stop after you have backed up. This is the brake pads shifting.

I was talking to my service manager about it and he says the area service rep told him a fix for it is coming within a month. He said a TSB would be issued and it will provide instructions on how to install a shim on the pads that will keep them from shifting. He said he didn't know how long it would take to actually order the shims in though.

This might be old news to ya'll. I didn't check to see if there was a previous thread on this. If so, sorry......

#2 ·
Hmmm...I think I have the same thing. At first I thought it was something loose in the "tire jack" area...but maybe not, eh? Kind of a quick click, especially when in reverse. I don't notice it on long stops...but I hear it while leaving my sub. It is definitely a *click* sound tho. I think I even heard it while going over speed bumps. I'm right at 10K

#3 ·
I experience the same brake noises. My service advisor says it happens on all larger SUV's. It occurs when you brake after changing directions. It is annoying. He was not aware of any TSB on fixing this annoyance.

I wonder if it really does occur in other SUVs? Sounds like BS to me.

#5 ·
Re: Happenning to all large SUVs

It does NOT happen with my MDX nor did it ever happen with our old '99 Expedition.

#8 ·
2003 shimmed?

It appears they are shimming the brake pads on the 2001 MDXs that have owners that complain about the clicks.

So, have they fixed it in production yet? Any of you 2003 owners getting the pad shift click?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.