Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

For some reason, the rear vents aren't blowing cold air.

The fan is working, but the air is warm.

I would assume that front and back both use the same freon system.

Is there something worth checking?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
They use the same Freon system but the back uses a different Air Mix motor...
The difference with the front is that the Mix Motor stays on the cool up to around 75°F.
The rear will mix hot air sooner after 65°F and since the heater core always have A/F running its always burning hot so the Cooler air heats up and fast.

Solution is to set the rear Manually at anything below 65°F and keep it running out of sync with the front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine has a failed mix motor. No matter where you set the temperature, you get the same result, because the door that shifts the blower air from the little heater core to the little ac evaporator inside the center console isn't moving. If on startup you get cooler air, and as soon as the antifreze starts circilating the air warms, then yours may be the same issue as mine. The solution is a new mix motor (about a hundred bucks, give or take) and removal of the center console to access it. It's a project not for the faint of heart, but Tim did send me all the instructions on how to do it, which I have in a completed condensed file now if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a similar problem last summer: front cold, rear not so much (in my case one of the rear vents was blowing warm air and the other one was merely cool). The problem ended up being low refrigerant: just not enough pressure to get cold air all the way to the back or something. Recharged (and replaced the schrader valve that was leaking to cause the problem in the first place) and it's been rock solid ever since. Might be worth at least checking the refrigerant level.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I set the rear to manual and the coldest setting.

It is still blowing warm air.

Maybe I will check the Freon level, but the front is plenty cold.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ That is weird.. Then the temp setting has nothing to do with the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has a failed mix motor. No matter where you set the temperature, you get the same result, because the door that shifts the blower air from the little heater core to the little ac evaporator inside the center console isn't moving. If on startup you get cooler air, and as soon as the antifreze starts circilating the air warms, then yours may be the same issue as mine. The solution is a new mix motor (about a hundred bucks, give or take) and removal of the center console to access it. It's a project not for the faint of heart, but Tim did send me all the instructions on how to do it, which I have in a completed condensed file now if anyone wants it.
Can you please send that to me? I have the same issue and would like to replace my mix motor. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts