Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for adding me to the forum. I just got my first mdx touring edition Thursday and so far i have fallen in love with it. Ive had no complaints about it at all except i noticed the rear ac does nothing but light up when the mode is selected. Now summer is at my door step and my front ac works great but when my two kids sit in the back they get no ac from the new console they would like to control. Im fairly good at soldering and I've checked under the main hood fuse box to see if the 30amp fuse was blowen but az far as i can tell another it doesn't look like it but then again im not used to seeing a fuse like that but looking through the top it doesnt look black or popped. Id like to figure this out before its too hot for my kids. any help would be great. Ive learned a bit reading tonight in this forum like the hollow closing doors fix so i feel confident i came to the right place. -Thanks My new MDX fam

·
Registered
23 Posts
Two possibilities are a faulty blower motor, or a resistor. Both are located under the center console, you can remove the panel on the driver's side to access. It is the carpeted side piece. Clean the blower motor while your in there. The resistor should have a pigtail going into it and a rather large heatsink attached.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jkjones is that resistor you arw showing just a plug in or is there soildering to be done in order to replace it? Also where would i be able to get that resistor if thats the case? Thanks jkjones for helping

·
Registered
93 Posts
It just plugs in. You can get them at your dealer. I've also seen them online including ebay. Shop around, the prices vary quite a bit. I had the exact problem you are referring to on my 2004 MDX and replacing the resistor fixed my problem. It's relatively easy to get to but it has been several years since I replaced mine.

I found a youtube video that shows someone replacing the resistor on a 2003 honda pilot. It looks pretty similar to what I had to do to replace mine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Give this 28-page thread a look:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/14-problems/17346-broken-rear-ac-grrr.html

It's a common issue with 1st gen MDXs and it's not a difficult fix, especially if you can solder. You might want to consider opening up the unit and re-soldering instead of replacing the assembly.
I'm glad you pulled old thread up for the OP so I didn't have to go find it. I hope he saw it before spending big bucks at Acura for the assembly. I fixed mine a few years back from that thread and the postage to get the tiny resistor was more than the resistor ($0.06). Pretty easy to unsolder and solder the little guy (well, I was a Navy electronics tech for 4 years a long time ago) and be sure you clean the intake screen. Mine was filthy and about half blocked. That will improve the flow and make the new resistor (actually thermistor) last a lot longer (mine has yet to re-fail).

Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
A little prevention goes a long way

Even if your rear A/C hasn't had the failure yet, I'd suggest removing the access panel on the lower left console and cleaning the intake screen (if necessary). It's likely obstruction of that screen that causes the resistor to overheat and fail. It will also improve the flow of air through the vents, and it's so easy to do. Maybe make a practice of doing it each time you do the cabin filter to insure it remains open. Just a thought.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i agree on changing the resistors first. I already changed mine 2. I just need to keep the screen clean i think to keep this problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be having a freelance mechanic work on the rear AC along with an assortment of other things - seems like my 2003 has every single common glitch! When pricing parts, the Honda/Acura resistor cost $85-$120, but aftermarket resistors cost $15-$20 for same part number. What's the deal? At the higher price, I was tempted to try the repair option, but at the lower price, replacement is the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts