Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this issue where rear A/C vent was blowing hot air when rear A/c was actually off and front was blowing cold air.

It seems this is an issue with this generation of MDX. Seal for the Heat coil becomes loose and it pushes the hot air back into the car. By hot air I mean as if Heater is on....not the outside temp air.

Dealer need to replace the Heating coil...it is full day job. They already have few customer with this issue....so this is just a heads up in case you have this issue, get it fixed before your warranty expired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue of hot air blowing in the rear even when it was off and my 2016 MDX had 66K miles (out of warranty), but the dealer replaced the heater core at no charge as a warranty claim (I didn't even have to ask). If this happens to you take it to the dealer and argue that since it is a known design defect it should be covered, and that others are having it covered.

The "seal" that comes loose is actually a cheap foam gasket like the one you use to put around your window in the winter. It's not very sticky and so it comes off. Here are two pictures - one with the gasket where it's supposed to be and another with it loose. It's very poor engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 MDX , 60k miles is doing the same. Hot air blowing in the rear a/c even is not on. Bringing to the dealer today see what they say.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine did the same and Acura covered it. However, I still think hot air is getting mixed while AC is on causing below normal AC performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m a honda tech and this problem is caused by a small strip of foam on the heater core coming loose. The foam unglues and allows air to blow across the heater core and right into the rear vents. We’ve been replacing heater cores and they have updated foam on the new part

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m a honda tech and this problem is caused by a small strip of foam on the heater core coming loose. The foam unglues and allows air to blow across the heater core and right into the rear vents. We’ve been replacing heater cores and they have updated foam on the new part
What an estimated price to have this fixed? I’ve had my 2016 for 2 yrs and It’s always done this. Never really gave it much thought until yesterday when it would blow nothing but hot air even with the rear A/C on as low as it will go. The rear A/C worked ok this morning but still blows hot air when it’s off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts