Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 2002 MDX since 2004. It only has about 85,000 km (53,000 miles). I've never felt that the mileage was very good, but I notice on this site that most get much better than me. I only get about 320 km from a full tank. That's about 200 miles. That's a full tank of city driving, but not heavy traffic, just not highway. Does anyone else get such poor fuel economy? Is there something to do to remedy this? By the way, I only use the cheapest gas, but I read that it shouldn't male any difference to fuel economy and I don't notice any issues with performance.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Short drives (especially in cold country) and a heavy foot will always produce lower than average fuel economy. Since you state this is the vehcile history I suspect that is the answer.

George

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have BJ's and Costco here in Pa, I'm not saying its the only factor because city driving similar to when I drive like your patterns still gets me minimal 240 miles a tank but FOR ME...I get lower mileage on those companies fuel. I get the best from Sunoco which is the most expensive (290 min.- 320/350 max.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I see everyone posting about costco gas and I would say that personally (and some of my friends) get a less mpg from costco gas. I can't say if that it is really the gas fault or just in our heads.

As midnight said there can be various reasons why your mpg is getting lower. Obvious check I would do is tire pressure correct? A step up is maybe do an fuel injector cleaner before your next oil change? Seeing how your at 80K miles maybe some new spark plugs? (It never hurts it to do it a little early) Hope this helps

Edit* i see you only have 53,000 miles it probably isn't your plugs but never know. Highly doubt it. Engine Air filter maybe? (But I read reports it won't effect your mpg)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Concur that is terrible mileage. My wife easily gets 500km in mixed driving in our 05, but it we were to go highway only it would be far more.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I see everyone posting about costco gas and I would say that personally (and some of my friends) get a less mpg from costco gas. I can't say if that it is really the gas fault or just in our heads.

As midnight said there can be various reasons why your mpg is getting lower. Obvious check I would do is tire pressure correct? A step up is maybe do an fuel injector cleaner before your next oil change? Seeing how your at 80K miles maybe some new spark plugs? (It never hurts it to do it a little early) Hope this helps

Edit* i see you only have 53,000 miles it probably isn't your plugs but never know. Highly doubt it. Engine Air filter maybe? (But I read reports it won't effect your mpg)
Yeah, they said the mass airflow sensor adjust spark and timing to keep fuel Econ. the same, it just kills performance. My K&N is due to be washed and cleaned, and sure enough, my torque and responsiveness is horrible! Mileage is about 5- 10 miles a tank lower. But that's still around 5%. Noticable!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I also own a 2002 with 164,000 on it and have kept detail MPG records . It averages about 18.5MPG. That is based on gallons put in and not the computer. I have found what other people claim for mileage is somewhat irrelevant to me (and you). Some use the computer read out, different tires, city vs. highway, flat versus mountain / hills, warm versus cold, 93 octane vs 87 octane, etc.

Here is what I found

Tires make a difference (my experience up to 1 MPG)- Good year Integrity- best ...snow tires -worst
Mileage declines somewhat with age
Higher octane usually returnes somewhat better mileage
City MPG is terrible (period)
Heavy foot kills MPG
Short trips and cold weather kills mileage.
Even on the highway hilly terraine is a mileage hit.
EGR port clean did not do much for me.
Having the AC on kills MPG - manually turn it off when not needed.

I suggest you have a shop go through the car and do maintenance that may help (EGR, air filter, plugs, sensors etc). Consider switching to a different tire next time around, turn off the AC, try to baby the MDX and slow down (yeah I know hard to do), try 93 octane, try a different gas.

If all else fails trade it for a CRV or Highlander.

Good luck.

FYI - when I hit 180K (8 months from now) my MDX is going into the third car mode and I will get an A4 or 328 as the daily driver. I plan on keeping the MDX as the vacation & ski, dump run, kid hauler vehicle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Forgot to add in 9+ years I have gotting 400+ miles on a tank 3 times. Those were 7+ hour highway trips. I am ususally refilling at the 325 mark.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Forgot to add in 9+ years I have gotting 400+ miles on a tank 3 times. Those were 7+ hour highway trips. I am ususally refilling at the 325 mark.
Thanks for that, so I'm in the zone!
Good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts