Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF ANY OF YOU WANT REAL XENON Lighting system for your Acura MDX. This system are NOT those CHEAP imitations like those blue bulbs they call XENON lights. This is a kit that converts your 9006 to a SUPERWHITE with blueish tint light that puts out 5200 Kelvins versus the 3200 to 4000 Kelvins on the Halogen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
This is a spring project for my X, I have been looking at a set on

http://www.hidkits.com

This version specifically
HIDA2000 - Adjustable HID ballast. Light intensity can be varied. At lowest setting you will get more bluish hue than at 35W. Mostly plug and play. You would need to wire to the driving area a toggle switch to choose adjust mode or standard 35W.

I would like to use this to create DRL with a photo sensor. But I have two concerns, first where to place the sensor(and what kind) and second, when I leave my lights on and use the auto-off feature when I restart the car there is a pretty heavy pull on the electrical system(as expected) my concern is about damaging the ballast. I have heard there is a large pull on the electrical system to initially start the HID's, hope this doesn't effect startup.

I wish Acura would have made these an option...

Steve...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: REAL XENON Lighting system for your car

mogur said:
You can always tell what they are (and are not) by what they FAIL to say... Want to bet that it is yet another filament bulb wannabe?...

Okay- Am willing to put up $1,000.00 and bet you. This kit which I have in my car right now consists of a pair of Phillips ballasts that holds igniters and inverters for the Xenon bulbs. Keep in mind Xenon do NOT have filaments and needs ballasts to spark the charge to ignite the gas that contains in the bulbs. The FAKE ones which are dyed and are actually halogens. Another difference between the fake and the reals one is that the hues on the lights cast out a superwhite LONGER length of light beam with a blueish tint. Halogens puts out a maximum of 4000 kelvins. REAL Xenon puts out upt to 5700 kelvins. SO..Just let met know when you want to bet.

Cheers.
TRENT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: More Info ?

deltajetfixer said:
Who's selling them and what's the cost?
Hello there! You can buy the kit from www.hids4less.com They use OEM equipment. Phillips ballasts and bulbs. There are two stages. Stage 1 which are the ones you see in Mercedes and BMW will cost you $495.00. Stage two that I have..is MESMERIZING!! AWESOME!! Which costs $795.00 and worth every penny!

Cheers!
Trent
2001 Black MDX on Ebony Touring with 20" Niche wheels, DVD surround movie theater inside with Phillips plasma 15" monitors, automatic flip down from ceiling. Mugen headers and exhausts with Stage II XENON HIDS from www.hids4less.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eruption said:
This is a spring project for my X, I have been looking at a set on

http://www.hidkits.com

This version specifically
HIDA2000 - Adjustable HID ballast. Light intensity can be varied. At lowest setting you will get more bluish hue than at 35W. Mostly plug and play. You would need to wire to the driving area a toggle switch to choose adjust mode or standard 35W.

I would like to use this to create DRL with a photo sensor. But I have two concerns, first where to place the sensor(and what kind) and second, when I leave my lights on and use the auto-off feature when I restart the car there is a pretty heavy pull on the electrical system(as expected) my concern is about damaging the ballast. I have heard there is a large pull on the electrical system to initially start the HID's, hope this doesn't effect startup.

I wish Acura would have made these an option...

Steve...
You know what Steve...Those are SOME great questions...I should also look into that...So far it seems as though I have put the HIDS in some of the situation you mentioned and there has been no Negative affects.

TRENT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Xenon Lighing system

Thats a lot of money to dish out for the stage 2 hid kit. Are there any other ones in the market that gives the same result for a cheaper price?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,713 Posts
Fireblade6,

Can you post some pictures of your MDX/mods. Your DVD system sounds pretty cool.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
DVD system

Fireblade6, I am interested in how you rigged the DVD system with the 15 inch screen. Please post some pics so I can see how it fits in the MDX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Xenon Lighing system

jaybaobao said:
Thats a lot of money to dish out for the stage 2 hid kit. Are there any other ones in the market that gives the same result for a cheaper price?
Jay- Actually at www.hidkits.com you can get the stage 1 for $355.00 not bad comparing to what BMW or Mercedes customer pay at dealership for the option.

Trent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: DVD system

vp16 said:
Fireblade6, I am interested in how you rigged the DVD system with the 15 inch screen. Please post some pics so I can see how it fits in the MDX.
VP16-

Actually I did not rig it. I have a friend in auto audio/video installation so I hired him to do it for me. As to how he did it...I can tell you that it took a lot of intricate work. he had to take the plastic off of the B pillar and A pillar and then remove the ceiling interior. Then re harnessing the wires to add a mobile DVD player and mount it under the glove box. run RCA wires and grounds and power wires under the ceiling. He had to cut a square into the fabric and had to fabricate a frame and bond the mounting frame under the ceiling with aircraft metal and composite glue so monitor will stay when he mount it. Then re install the ceiling foam and fabric and such and then mount the plasma monitor...It was a A LOT of pain!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Re: Re: Xenon Lighing system

Fireblade6 said:


Jay- Actually at www.hidkits.com you can get the stage 1 for $355.00 not bad comparing to what BMW or Mercedes customer pay at dealership for the option.

Trent
Trent,

Where did you see the stage 1s for $355? When I checked the hidkits site it lists the 9006 lights for $499. Am I looking at the wrong thing, or have they dropped their price?

Thanks for any info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
s2ktaxi,

I called hidkits with the same question, because I have been thinking of doing it myself (if I ever get my X).

They tell me you unplug your existing 9006 lamps take that cable from the lamps, plug that into the new harness which has the ballast on it, and you plug that into the HID lamp, thus making it completely plug and play, without any splicing or drilling. They have installation pics on their website.

The guy I spoke with said you fix the ballast to the wall with some super adhesive 3M tape that they use and haven't had any problems with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
The 3M tape solution may be more permanent than I'd like - a mechanical solution that does not involve drilling or cutting is ideal. We just need to find some place to use a zip tie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
s2ktaxi said:
ok, how is the ballast and everything else installed without drilling?
S2KTaxi-

You have two options of mounting the Phillips ballasts. It comes with industrial velcro adhesives to mount on the side of the firewall or right underneath the light house. The other option is to drill holes on the inside wall of your firewall but I DONT recommend that. The velcro works excellent. I drive in really severe roads here where I live with LOTS of pot holes and such and the ballasts stay put.


Fireblade6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Thanks - is there a group buy planned?

Another question. On my S2000, the HID's are great - but mainly because of the projector lamp setup. The NSX, with halogen projectors just have a different color but are about as effective in terms of spread and beam pattern.

For the MDX, are the HID's actually brighter than the stock halogens? Considering the beam pattern does not change, is there any other difference? Besides being able to better blind the oncoming car if you are cresting a hill? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The 3M dbl-sided tape will come loose, but it takes some effort, and you have to clean up residue afterwards.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
SteveMitchell
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing
Top