Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the new Range Rover ($70K+) at the Detroit Auto Show and saw something really cheap and cheesy looking. The Rover dash is slathered with what looks like cherry wood trim. If you looked at the end of the dash (the part hidden when the door is closed), you could see that the "real" wood trim that wraps around the dash from top to bottom has to be rolled around the dash end and then miter cut to eliminate overlap. Its obvious that the "real wood" may be wood all right but it is just paper thin veneer. To make matters worse, the miter cut was very raggedy and the frayed gaps were just filled in with cherry colored wood filler. For $70K, the look was truly crappy. Many people complain about Acura's plastic wood but I wonder if the cheap molded veneer is all you're really getting in the pseudo luxo cars out there?

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I would have loved to have seen some pics of that. . .

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The quality of real wood depends on the implementation. Real wood often requires encasing in a polyurethane-type material because of natural expansion and what-not, so it doesn't necessarily look as "real" as wood. Some vehicles have laminated wood because in a crash, it doesn't splinter as badly and threaten occupants.

That all said, I'd rather see the MDX with well-implemented natural wood than the fake plastic stuff. The MDX interior as a whole can use an upgrade -- it's probably my biggest complaint on an otherwise excellent vehicle (hard dash with the fake molded texturing, lleather that creases pretty easily, plood).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts