Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Real life MPG difference between 2005/2006 and 2009

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tyle7983 
#1 ·
Has anyone traded their 2005 or 2006 MDX for a newer model MDX?

I am wondering about the real life mpg difference. It concerns me
seeing a 15/20 mpg rating on the 2009, especially, if my mind wonders back to the $4.00 plus per gallon gasoline.

I get reasonably good mileage in my 2005 and I sure would
hate to purchase a new vehicle that actually gets less MPG.

Thanks for your help..... Hokie

#2 ·
Official rating is same except for -1mpg highway.
But if you'd wait for the 2010 MDX you get 6spd which increases +1mpg for both city/highway.

You can find real-world mpg on fueleconomy.gov and truedelta.gov.
In general most people are able to achieve 23-25mpg on highway. City driving can vary a lot. I'd say between 15-18mpg.
Haven't driven previous MDX model so can't say how it compares.

#4 ·
If you drive really really slow at constant speed of 55-60 on flat high way, you'll be amazed by the result.;)

#7 ·
1tufgt said:

Holy S**t.............. :)

That is nice. Need more details.
I add nothing to the X except for adding the KN filter. More horse? questionable, but for sure it has better throttle response. Better mileage? This part I know it is true.

P.S. For highway, if I drive 80-90, I can only get 23mpg. So driving it & baby it at 55-60 is the key for gas saving.;)

P.P.S. Do I drive at 55-60 often? Hell no, that was the only ONE time test.

#8 ·
Well I have high mpg picture as well. But it's misleading. I was going a lot downhill here.... I've been able to get max 24-25mpg on longer distances with a very light foot (at around 60mph).
But in stop and go conditions mileage will be poor...

The new 2010 MDX should get about 5% better mpg. I still hope Acura will sell a Hybrid SUV version eventually.

#9 ·
LionSpeed said:

I add nothing to the X except for adding the KN filter. More horse? questionable, but for sure it has better throttle response. Better mileage? This part I know it is true.

P.S. For highway, if I drive 80-90, I can only get 23mpg. So driving it & baby it at 55-60 is the key for gas saving.;)

P.P.S. Do I drive at 55-60 often? Hell no, that was the only ONE time test.
Damn that is good to know. Hell 23 mpg is much better than my V8 Explorer gets. LOL

#10 ·
We just took a 900 mile trip, and averaged 21.4mpg (measured by fuel filling, not by the trip computer). This was probably 80% highway mileage, running 75-80 mph.

I'm actually pretty pleased with our MDX's mileage, considering its performance, bluff shape and 4500 lb weight.

#11 ·
Has anyone traded their 2005 or 2006 MDX for a newer model MDX?

I am wondering about the real life mpg difference. It concerns me
seeing a 15/20 mpg rating on the 2009, especially, if my mind wonders back to the $4.00 plus per gallon gasoline.

I get reasonably good mileage in my 2005 and I sure would
hate to purchase a new vehicle that actually gets less MPG.

Thanks for your help..... Hokie
2009 difference.05 and 06 because 09 engnie 3,7 more power then 06 i have 06 4wd buy bran new 18 galon 70% hyway 30% i drive 350 miles day one and now same nothing difference.mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.