Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello FOLKS!

Well today I have a real head scratch here...
I am having an issue with my suspension something that hugely resembles that of a failing Sway Bar Link (Knocks over un-even bumps that only hit 1 side of the car). I have checked the suspension over and over and over again, Today I removed the wheel yet again to check stuff (Knock is prominent in Drivers Side).

Now stuff I checked:
1.- Lower Ball Joint (Using the Jack Method for Movement)
2.- Tie Rods Inner and Outer.
3.- Sway Bar Links (I swore this was the problem but nope)
4.- Sway Bar Bushings.

Everything has come up clear, Car currently has 85K I bought it with 72K, No records on Shock Change. But this is the shocker.. Wait for it.The knock only happens when the car is COLD.

Early in the morning I have to get my car outside of the garage there is the sidewalk edge and since I live in a closed street I have to lower my car diagonally (1st Knock) then there is the rain gutter when I have to turn (2nd Knock) then there is a bad street that gets me into the highway (Multiple Knocks) once the car gets to operating temp and I have driven multiple miles there is absolutely no knocks.. Nothing, Nada... Its smooth as silk. sooo What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this will likely not help you at all, but my moms C-Class Coupe with the panoramic glass roof does a similar thump when you first start driving and hit an uneven surface, like coming off a driveway or going over a speed bump with one side. It was hard to nail down where the sound was coming from, but eventually it turned out to be sunroof related. Something specific with the pano roofs. Again, may not be of much help to you, but it may be worth keeping an open mind as to where exactly the sound is coming from.

Or you could have bad shocks or half shaft u-joints..

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
How did you check the sway bar links and bushings? Best way to rule those out is to remove the links and go drive it.

There was a TSB for front suspension noise that involved the front compliance bushings. Could be that?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jants13 yeah I wish the sound was coming from inside but the knock can be felt in the floor area in the drivers side so its definitely something mechanic.

SuperTech I put both wheels of the ground (Front Axle) and removed the tires to wiggle as much as I could the Sway Links, The links are notorious to being very weak they are common issue on my TL Type S at least the OEM because Aftermarket has a beefier design that fixes that problem. Anyway when the links are bad you can feel a lot of gap in the ball joint so they can be moved quite freely, Mine are too hard to move by hand but I could move it with some hand tools so its ok.

I found that TSB too.. I noticed one of my compliance bushing is different than the other but I dunno if this is OK..
I was under the impression they were asymmetrical, but I have not found any useful pictures to compare them.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had something very similiar before. Ended up being a failed strut mount bearing. This is sandwiched between the strut mount and the strut piston/bumpstop. You wouldn't think such a small and flat part can exhibit those symptoms but it did in my case.

#13 in the diagram. You can purchase this separately as an aftermarket part as well.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way to check it? Someway to test it without removing the strut assembly?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had something very similiar before. Ended up being a failed strut mount bearing. This is sandwiched between the strut mount and the strut piston/bumpstop. You wouldn't think such a small and flat part can exhibit those symptoms but it did in my case.

#13 in the diagram. You can purchase this separately as an aftermarket part as well.

I had both strut mounts, struts and a new axle and I still hear that stupid noise. I'm told my motor mounts are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts