Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Ready to see new rusty??? (56k warning)

44K views 134 replies 56 participants last post by  turnvinal 
#1 ·
It was a sunny day today. I had nothing to do so I check out the underbody of my new purchase. As I looked under the car, "Oh my fu*king god!!" I said to myself, THE WHOLE UNDERBODY IS RUSTED (well, not all, most of them)!!!!! The brake discs were rusted when we got the car but I thought it will disappear after a few days so I didn't care about it much, now it's still here :3:. The back of the brakes are horrible, it's all rusted, every brake rotors are rusted!! Gear box (I think), rack and pinion, joints and more are all rusted :3:!!! I never had this problem in my old X. Remember, it's only a week old!! Here are some pics I took. I already e-mail Acura, just waiting for their reply.

Attachments

See less See more
#103 ·
That is great ! Follow up and don't give up ! :2:

#105 ·
Re: I recieved a letter from Honda Japan!

Captain MDX said:
As I mentioned above that I sent some pics to Honda of Japan. They replied me today. Here's what they have to say, nothing special and I don't think it really helped me :rolleyes:

Caption MDX,
Hmmmmmm???? I received the same EXACT letter last week. I thought that I was making some progress until I read your post. Apparently, this is a 'generic' letter that is sent in response to all Domestic issues (for the record, I have a completely different scenario than yours).

Obviously, by the generic letter received by both of us, they know that when consumers' don't get the results they were looking for from American Honda, the next course of action would logically be a letter to 'Honda' Corporate in Japan......

I'm hopeful that, in fact, the 'distributer' does make contact shortly, as American Honda's last closing sentence to me stated, "no further responses will be made regarding this issue".

How's that old perverbial saying go??

"Japan copies everything and makes it better"

I guess there's, at least, 50% truth to that saying. They definitely do copy everything, which unfortunately includes how they handle consumer complaints (paralleling to the Big 3's Consumer Complaint Departments).

#106 ·
Got a letter today, nothing special but a :bsflag: letter from Acura Canada. Read and learn :rolleyes: (sorry, I have to crop it really small to fit the size limit)

P.S: Fabvsix, are you sure Acura US will help us canadians or will they just forward a letter to Acura Canada like what Honda japan did??

Attachments

#110 ·
Got another letter today, this time from Japan. Nothing to say, just read :eek:. What can I do now?? Call Honda America?? Seems the only place I havn't contact is Honda America but I know one day they'll give me another letter like this one anyway so what's the point :rolleyes:. Should I give it a shot?? Think it's worth it??

Attachments

#112 ·
roadman said:
Many if not all of the parts that appear rusted are cast iron, and have no rust protection. In all likelyhood they rusted the instant they were exposed to any moisture.
And it is generally just an expected surface condition with no impact to the structure of the components.

You might try this to clean it up:

http://www.rustbullet.com/

#113 ·
No rust on my '02

I just purchased my first MDX last Thursday, and after reading this thread, went to the Garage to check the undercarriage.
No rust anywhere, and everything looks as a two and a half year old vehicle should (perhaps better) :D

Paul

#114 ·
Re: No rust on my '02

Texas said:
I just purchased my first MDX last Thursday, and after reading this thread, went to the Garage to check the undercarriage.
No rust anywhere, and everything looks as a two and a half year old vehicle should (perhaps better) :D

Paul
Ah! The sign of a used MDX. No rust underneath!

#115 ·
NBP_MDX said:

Thanks bluestreak. Seems to be worse than I thought. The brakes look pretty much like mine some how :confused:. Anyone who has a MDX that doesn't have rusty brakes?? I mean, completely no rust or very minor rust at the back??
If you do not drive the MDX for two or three days there will even be rust on the braking surface.

G

#120 ·
An ounch of prevention

Those photos of the surface rust underneath the MDX in this thread got me to thinking about doing a little preventive maintenance on the new MDX I'm picking up this next week. I use a product called Boeshield on metal motorcycle parts such as fenders and it really helps to avoid surface rust. The product was developed by Boeing to prevent surface rust inside airplanes and is like a heavy duty WD-40. A twenty minute spray session underneath the MDX when the car is new would likely prevent a good portion of what I'm seeing in these photos.
In order to stop the surface rust that has started, there are several spray products available from Pep Boys or Eastwood which can be sprayed directly onto the metal parts and will bind with the rust to neutralize it and leave a black finish. Of course, you do not want to spray your brake rotor. Driving your MDX will keep those shiny.
Now, I know someone is going to say "You should not have to spray something underneath a $40,000 car to stop surface rust." I agree but I'd rather work spend a little time to prevent (or fix) the problem then let it occur in the first place (or get worse).

#121 ·
Ouch

TriumphDriver said:
Those photos of the surface rust underneath the MDX in this thread got me to thinking about doing a little preventive maintenance on the new MDX I'm picking up this next week. I use a product called Boeshield on metal motorcycle parts such as fenders and it really helps to avoid surface rust. The product was developed by Boeing to prevent surface rust inside airplanes and is like a heavy duty WD-40. A twenty minute spray session underneath the MDX when the car is new would likely prevent a good portion of what I'm seeing in these photos.
In order to stop the surface rust that has started, there are several spray products available from Pep Boys or Eastwood which can be sprayed directly onto the metal parts and will bind with the rust to neutralize it and leave a black finish. Of course, you do not want to spray your brake rotor. Driving your MDX will keep those shiny.
Now, I know someone is going to say "You should not have to spray something underneath a $40,000 car to stop surface rust." I agree but I'd rather work spend a little time to prevent (or fix) the problem then let it occur in the first place (or get worse).
I don't think you have to. NBP's MDX is an aberration, probably one in a million.
You've said it, you should not have to do that on a $40K vehicle. Heck, you should not have to do that on any vehicle :rolleyes:

Paul

#123 ·
I think this is not unusual. My car, 05 RES/NAV bougt Dec. 2005, showed rust on rotors too.

Service adviser at Radley Acura in VA, told me it's prevailed phenomena. Can you believe it? He proved his word with showing other new car, which is almost same as mine.

In addition, there is a gap between headlight and bumper. I remembered somebody kindly mentioned a gap between taillight and body, too. My car has luckily (?) those gaps too. I am not alone. Check it out.

To make it more worse, they don't even think these are problems and defects.

I do not want to point the service manager but Acura. I could not believe Acura's stance toward customers.

#124 ·
mudzbee said:
I think this is not unusual. My car, 05 RES/NAV bougt Dec. 2005, showed rust on rotors too.

Service adviser at Radley Acura in VA, told me it's prevailed phenomena. Can you believe it? He proved his word with showing other new car, which is almost same as mine.

In addition, there is a gap between headlight and bumper. I remembered somebody kindly mentioned a gap between taillight and body, too. My car has luckily (?) those gaps too. I am not alone. Check it out.

To make it more worse, they don't even think these are problems and defects.

I do not want to point the service manager but Acura. I could not believe Acura's stance toward customers.
I know what you meant about the rotor, all the MDX are like that in my dealer, heck, not just MDX, every car is except the TL, can you believe it:rolleyes:?? About the gap on the tail lights, are you sure it is secure?? My tails where like what you mentioned before but I pushed it in and there's no gap anymore. Don't know about the headlights though.

#125 ·
You should see the rust on the underside of my MDX. It is not untreated steel parts but the actual body of the X as well as the spare tire rim. Wow.

Attachments

#126 ·
Hopefully.....

.....the next generation MDX will have better build quality. I've seen so many posts with misaligned bumpers, doors, hood etc. etc. ......and, of course, the rust issue.....My MDX had a leaking sunroof (which, I was told is a faulty design, that the dealership rectified by putting in some rubberized foam insulation), and a misaligned glove box lid which rattled as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.