Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 MDX and overall it has the right size and power for our needs. We bought it two years old and it only had about 10K miles on it, so like new. We were never given a reason why it was returned to the dealer so soon after new. In about six month we had an issue where it randomly fails to start. The first time I had it towed to the dealer (50 miles at my expense). Of course it started fine for them and it "not throwing any codes".

The symptoms are when you put the key in the ignition and try to turn it on, the car is dead. No dash lights. Nothing. Repeat over and over and usually within 30 to 60 minutes it will wake up, dash lights come on, and it starts fine. We have a brand new high end battery. I have a nephew that work for Honda in another State who informed me of an Ignition Module that goes bad on the Honda version of my MDX. The local dealer says NO, it's not that and we won't replace it.

Being left stranded with a dead car is no acceptable. It is completely random and unpredictable on when it will happen which makes it even worse. It will go months without doing it and then daily for a few days. Weather and outside temperatures have no obvious adverse effect. It has been into the shop on multiple occasions and it's unclear if our local dealership is unwilling or unable to troubleshoot the problem. The car came with an aftermarket remote start and I went to a shop I "trust" to have that troubleshot to make sure it's not the problem and it isn't the cause.

Anyone know of a KNOWN reason/have similar issues? Frankly, the Audi Q7 is looking really fine about now :-( Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Call Acura Client Relations at 800-382-2238. Explain the situation as a concerned owner that loves the car but feels frustrated and confused about the situation.

They helped me with my 2004 TSX that was way out of warranty by covering most of the costs for replacing a faulty PCB.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 2013 MDX and overall it has the right size and power for our needs. We bought it two years old and it only had about 10K miles on it, so like new. We were never given a reason why it was returned to the dealer so soon after new. In about six month we had an issue where it randomly fails to start. The first time I had it towed to the dealer (50 miles at my expense). Of course it started fine for them and it "not throwing any codes".

The symptoms are when you put the key in the ignition and try to turn it on, the car is dead. No dash lights. Nothing. Repeat over and over and usually within 30 to 60 minutes it will wake up, dash lights come on, and it starts fine. We have a brand new high end battery. I have a nephew that work for Honda in another State who informed me of an Ignition Module that goes bad on the Honda version of my MDX. The local dealer says NO, it's not that and we won't replace it.

Being left stranded with a dead car is no acceptable. It is completely random and unpredictable on when it will happen which makes it even worse. It will go months without doing it and then daily for a few days. Weather and outside temperatures have no obvious adverse effect. It has been into the shop on multiple occasions and it's unclear if our local dealership is unwilling or unable to troubleshoot the problem. The car came with an aftermarket remote start and I went to a shop I "trust" to have that troubleshot to make sure it's not the problem and it isn't the cause.

Anyone know of a KNOWN reason/have similar issues? Frankly, the Audi Q7 is looking really fine about now :-( Any help is appreciated.

Hmm, I’d consider pulling that remote start & check all your connections. I suspect it’s something simple.

As for why it was returned so soon, lots of people either lease them for a year or two & you can cash in on their return or they have over purchased. I paid >$12,000 less than new for my 2009 in 2010 with only 13K.

The Q7 has rave reviews by Consumer Reports & they’re tough to please. Typically crazy electronic failures were Audi’s wheelhouse but they say that’s getting better-I still can’t imagine the MDX wouldn’t be more reliable. Personally, I think the Q7 could use some styling. It’s appalling such an expensive vehicle could look so hum drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
How difficult is it to take the MDX to another Acura or Honda dealership? It sounds like a isolated issue not common to MDXs and is probable narrowed down to a module replacement or wiring issue. I'm kinda stuck with one Acura dealership in the entire state of New Mexico. They usually do a good job; but, they do sometimes do half-ass diagnostics at times.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The car came with an aftermarket remote start and I went to a shop I "trust" to have that troubleshot to make sure it's not the problem and it isn't the cause.
For starters (haha, puns are fun) you need to remove the aftermarket remote start. You may think it isn't the problem -- and you might be right -- but I'd postulate that MOST funky ignition problems on vehicles equipped with aftermarket alarms and remote starts ARE related to the aftermarket unit or the (almost universally crappy) installation. Even if your issue isn't related and you have a quality install (rare) then you should still remove it, as a shop is going to use the remote start as a scapegoat and you're not going to get serious diagnosis until it's removed.

Once removed, take it to another Acura dealer. If you think your nephew is onto the root cause, then you might consider paying out of pocket to replace the ignition cylinder. A working vehicle and your sanity is worth a couple hundred bucks! And if you can prove it did fix your issue, I'd press Acura Client Relations for reimbursement, after the fact.

·
Registered
322 Posts
For starters (haha, puns are fun) you need to remove the aftermarket remote start. You may think it isn't the problem -- and you might be right -- but I'd postulate that MOST funky ignition problems on vehicles equipped with aftermarket alarms and remote starts ARE related to the aftermarket unit or the (almost universally crappy) installation. Even if your issue isn't related and you have a quality install (rare) then you should still remove it, as a shop is going to use the remote start as a scapegoat and you're not going to get serious diagnosis until it's removed.

Once removed, take it to another Acura dealer. If you think your nephew is onto the root cause, then you might consider paying out of pocket to replace the ignition cylinder. A working vehicle and your sanity is worth a couple hundred bucks! And if you can prove it did fix your issue, I'd press Acura Client Relations for reimbursement, after the fact.
i agree 1000% remove the after market remote

·
Registered
87 Posts
I missed the part about the aftermarket remote start.

They are very tricky. I had a similar situation with an older Nissan.

I used to be a car electronics hobbyist so I went through the installation wire by wire on the harness and found that the reputable shop screwed up one connection. It was an honest mistake by the installer but most dealerships won't touch it for this reason. For your MDX it could be a faulty aftermarket module, interface, or wiring.

I know it's a pain, but it's best to have it removed to be sure you've isolated the problem to something other than the installation. It will still be a lot less expensive than buying another car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
+1000 on removing the aftermarket remote start. Most any reputable stereo shop can probably help you with this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm curious what the shop did to trouble shoot the the remote start? If they explained the process?
As mentioned previously, and I'll add to that
+1000000 on removing the remote start.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
from the information with the remote start, I'm guessing the remote start system also has starter kill, and most starter kill uses a relay. That relay might just be stuck at a certain interval of use.

As others already mentioned, remove the whole remote start system and go from there.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Okay, I'm not jumping on the remote starter, as the problem.
Instead, I think that the blades of the fuse, where the remote start was connected, have been "spread" too wide and the fuse is not making good contact.

When tapping on to a fuse, the installer has the choice of 2 fuse "legs".
One of the "legs" is on the hot side (of the fuse) and the other "leg" is on the protected side (of the fuse).
If they spread the female blades (which receive the leg(s) of the fuse) too much, there will be intermittent contact.

Specifically, if they spread the blades, on the hot side, too much, it will randomly start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How difficult is it to take the MDX to another Acura or Honda dealership? It sounds like a isolated issue not common to MDXs and is probable narrowed down to a module replacement or wiring issue. I'm kinda stuck with one Acura dealership in the entire state of New Mexico. They usually do a good job; but, they do sometimes do half-ass diagnostics at times.
I live in Alaska, and there is only one dealer :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live in Alaska and there is only one dealer. I Do Not Trust This Car To Drive To The Lower 48 :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious what the shop did to trouble shoot the the remote start? If they explained the process?
As mentioned previously, and I'll add to that
+1000000 on removing the remote start.

The guy I took it to has been installing this brand of remote for a number of years, and I trust him. He has seen just about everything that can go wrong and knows how to fix most problems. He did not install this one and has nothing to gain by not doing all he can to find out what is wrong, i.e. he could have said I need a replacement and charge me for a new one and he didn't. He feels it is in the ignition module, which is exactly what the Honda service bulletin was on that the local dealership refuses to consider :-(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Man that suck. I have a 7 year old daughter and with having a child, car problem is something I fear. That's a big plus that your installer is familiar with the remote start you have.
Just curious, how much will it cost to uninstall your remote start?
I think it might be a good idea to uninstall and see if it happens.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just curious, how much will it cost to uninstall your remote start?
I think it might be a good idea to uninstall and see if it happens.
I just looked at the instructions for the OEM remote start. If the aftermarket is similar, it looks fairly simple to uninstall.
@Roger4567 Time to decide if the MDX is worth an hour or two of your or an installer's time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
There are many parts, from Honda that are used on Acuras.
What is the Honda TSB number?
I'd like to see the replacement ignition module number and see which Acuras use it, too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Even though you trust the remote starter installer, you should have it totally disabled, including any jumpers, as a necessary and logical first step in the troubleshooting process. Make sure the car’s ignition system is 100% restored to factory and go from there.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The guy I took it to has been installing this brand of remote for a number of years, and I trust him. He has seen just about everything that can go wrong and knows how to fix most problems. He did not install this one and has nothing to gain by not doing all he can to find out what is wrong, i.e. he could have said I need a replacement and charge me for a new one and he didn't. He feels it is in the ignition module, which is exactly what the Honda service bulletin was on that the local dealership refuses to consider :-(
If you're so confident that is the problem, why don't you replace the ignition module?

Reactions: RainGoat
1 - 20 of 23 Posts