Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my new MDX at night, it's clear that it would be desirable to upgrade the headlights. Reading the posts on HID upgrades here I notice that an upgrade HID kit costs about $500. This includes the 9006 HID bulbs and the ballast with the appropriate cable.

However, I notice on ebay there there a bunch of sellers selling "HID" bulbs for $19.00 a pair or less. I do notice that they burn a lot more power, i.e. they are rated at 80 and 100 watts for the low and high beam respectively, which implies that they are not discharge bulbs but rather halogen since presumably the discharge type consume less power. Also I notice that Sylvania has some halogen bulbs that are claimed to have higher output and are whiter in color temperature. They also claim that the halogen bulbs are 100% compatible.

What am I to believe? Do I have to spend $500 to upgrade my lighting system? Is there a discernable difference between the $500 upgrade and the just replacing the bulb? I believe in the adage that you get what you pay for.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
kjando said:
Driving my new MDX at night, it's clear that it would be desirable to upgrade the headlights. Reading the posts on HID upgrades here I notice that an upgrade HID kit costs about $500. This includes the 9006 HID bulbs and the ballast with the appropriate cable.

However, I notice on ebay there there a bunch of sellers selling "HID" bulbs for $19.00 a pair or less. I do notice that they burn a lot more power, i.e. they are rated at 80 and 100 watts for the low and high beam respectively, which implies that they are not discharge bulbs but rather halogen since presumably the discharge type consume less power. Also I notice that Sylvania has some halogen bulbs that are claimed to have higher output and are whiter in color temperature. They also claim that the halogen bulbs are 100% compatible.

What am I to believe? Do I have to spend $500 to upgrade my lighting system? Is there a discernable difference between the $500 upgrade and the just replacing the bulb? I believe in the adage that you get what you pay for.

Any info would be appreciated.
I paid $400 at teamorangeracing.com (I don't know if they have any more) for a set of McCulloch. Do some searches you will see my installation, etc. Plus several others on here. I think it's worthwhile mod. I am very happy with them, and the difference is very noticeable. After some 1000 miles with them, I have yet to have one vehicle flash me. The aiming matches the stock bulbs.

For stock replacement of hi and lo go with Sylvania Silverstar, about as good as a conventional bulb will get.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
HID lights

Kjando-

What you see on E-bay for "HID" lights for $19.00 are dyed halogen bulbs that simulate HID lighting systems. Trust me..it costs Phillips, Sylvania and others more than $19.00 to make the actual HID bulbs. and that is just the bulbs....the ballasts cost more!

And if you really want to get extreme...you can get light housing that can be fabricated for your MDX with built in HID lighting systems for a couple months of salary.

I say for an MDX HID upgrade, expect to pay $300 to $750.00 depending on the light bulbs you use.

·
Registered
127 Posts
One Word

Sorry folks but "CR#$P" I Have seen the Light (HID) and I am a Believer!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The light

Rodzir-

where did you see the HID lighting system for the MDX at? And what you become a believer....please let the MDX owners how are still using Halogen know. Thanks
;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Upgraded to HIDS

On my last car I bought the sylvania Cool blue bulbs. SO SO! When I got my MDX I did what everyone else did I bought PIA Hyper whites. Much better that the Halogen but $70 per pair. Then after all the talk I bit the bullet and upgraded to HID for less 6000K kit. Truly the difference between night and day. My suggestion is to save the $$ and invest in the HID upgrade. It is one of the best investments for the money.:2: Search the site for photos many people have done the upgrades. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Stock Bulbs

I upgraded to HID a couple weeks ago. The strange thing is that when I was upgrading I noticed that the stock Sylvania bulbs have "H4" printed on them eventhough they are 9006. Why is that? Second, does every MDX have Sylvania bulbs as stock?

·
Registered
56 Posts
From a comparison table

H1, H2, H3, & H7 bulbs are usually reference as their own number.
An H4 is also referenced to as a 9003 or an HB2.
A 9004 Bulb is also referenced to as a HB1.
A 9005 bulb is also referenced to as a HB3.
A 9006 bulb is also referenced to as a HB4.
A 9007 bulb is also referenced to as a HB.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Upgraded to HIDS

Rodzir said:
On my last car I bought the sylvania Cool blue bulbs. SO SO! When I got my MDX I did what everyone else did I bought PIA Hyper whites. Much better that the Halogen but $70 per pair. Then after all the talk I bit the bullet and upgraded to HID for less 6000K kit. Truly the difference between night and day. My suggestion is to save the $$ and invest in the HID upgrade. It is one of the best investments for the money.:2: Search the site for photos many people have done the upgrades. Enjoy!
Cool Rodzir!

I also have the Stage II HID lighting system on my MDX from HIDS4LESS. Truly a difference isn't it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the Sylvania 9005ST and 9006ST Silver Star replacement bulbs at about 25 bucks each. I replaced all 6 for berrer night vision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi! JOHNNY BRAVO
I am interested in installing HID in my fog lights. Can you tell me if you do any adujustment ?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
HID for FOGs

If you plan to install HID for your Fogs, you may want to turn the fog adjustments to down about one and half turn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
With all the unconfirmed changes going in the 2003 MDX, some are saying HID's will be available, some don't make any mention of it.

So if it turns out that they are not going in the '03's, why not?

Is it too costly for Acura to include, is it that the engineering has to change? Do they just figure they are not useful enough to be worth it?

I know many owners are installing their own aftermarket kits, so why can't Acura just put them in. Aren't there plenty of other SUV manufacturers out there doing it, that would convince Acura to go ahead.
:(

·
Registered
968 Posts
Not too familar about the HID lights.

Do you'll just replace the light bulbs or you have to change the housing unit also?

:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
HID i am not waiting around for the 2003, i took out of m 94 prelude v tec a set of 7000k mercedes clk amg55 hid headlites, they fit great,, and are whiter then after market lamps, and those i put in my fogssssssssss, next week i will have my highs done the only problem i have is mounting 6 ballasts 4 is hard enough. wiat tilll the rest of my mods are done. it will have 280+hp if you look in the gallery for secret weapon mdx you will see more pics........ plus whats going to happen to my mdx next friday............

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts