Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: 7/100K extended warranty..help!

Hi, was wondering, has anyone bought an extended warranty(ie-7yr/100K) that was reasonably priced?...the dealers try to sell it for 1500-1800 but i know their cost is 400-500 for this product...whats the cheapest someone has bought this for from the dealer or anyone else?...there are many aftermarket co's that sell this also from what i understand...i think i need this since my wife puts alot of miles on her cars and warranty will prob be used up by 2.5-3 yrs....thanks.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I got real lucky, my dealer was offering a free 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty with the purchase of both my 3.2 TL and my MDX.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lucky you!...did you pay msrp or a premium to it?..find it hard to believe they would give away anything for free..:)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I payed under MSRP for the 3.2 TL and MSRP for my base MDX. The dealer even kicked in rear mud flaps, tinted front windows, and wheel locks. I have heard nightmare stories about Acura dealers but mine (Ferman Acura) has treated me very good:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Our experience...

We paid $800 for our extended warranty which is for 7 yrs or 80K miles. We paid $500 under MSRP for an '02 white touring and dealer threw in mud flaps, cargo liner, and wheel locks.

Good luck! Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!!!!!!!;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
mac, there has been a lot of stuff written on this site on extended warranties, both pro and con. Do a search and review....lotsa good info.

But if you think your wife will crank thru 100K miles in 3 years and you plan to keep your X even longer, I would definitely would consider the extended warranty. Only through Acura, however.

Much has been written about 3rd party warranties and the hassles that many, not all, buyers have experienced with them.

http://hondaacurawarrantiesatspringfieldmotorcars.com is a good place to check extended pricing, but you also should consider your dealer and other Acura dealers in the area. All would be honored at any Acura dealer.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
7 year 100,000 $0 deductable Acura Warranty

Peabody Acura in Mass. was selling for $1700. You do not have to buy from the dealer you purchased. I would try to negiotiate when you purchase, but if they will not give you better than $1700 for the $0 deductable, then look to another dealer on the internet. Octavian mentioned a good dealer also in the thread above, I actually went with them first then peabody beat their price by $50.00. In New York State they wanted $2500 for the same warranty. The dealer that sold me my MDX wouldn't even budge from the $2500 price and I even paid over MSRP by $1000 to get my 2002 MDX in November of 2001.

P.S. Don't get the third party warranty! Only get the Acura Extended Warranty which is an extention of the factory warranty that comes with the SUV. Third party ones are a nightmare!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my first post since joining. I have found lots of good info and feedback from the posts. I purchased the Acura extended warranty from Bell Acura in Phoenix (where I purchased the MDX) for $2400. (7yrs-100,000 miles)
The kicker was that if I don't use the warranty, I receive a full refund of the purchase price of the warranty. Considering what replacing any of
the major componants or computers that the MDX has on board would cost, I have no complaints. It's a crap shoot really. If anything does go wrong, I'm covered. If nothing goes wrong, I
get the full price back.

PS. Are there any other members in the Phoenix area out there?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
rebate

I've heard of that deal. It is offered by certain dealerships not thru acura care warranty. what they do is take the premium over the regular price and forward to an insurance company which back's it. I figured chances are I will use the extended warranty for something. I felt $700 was a little costly for that gamble. Also did they give you the $0 deductable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it is a $0 deductable. As for the cost, while I paid MSRP for the MDX, I don't have to worry about any other major outlays of $ for the next seven years. While I have read of some of the problems of the members, I have yet to experience any, other than the NAV blackout problem which
I'm sure is a software problem. If it's not then I will make sure that it's fixed before the "4 year" warranty is up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
THERE ARE OTHER EXTENDED WARRANTIES THRU ACURACARE.

5YR/100000 MILES FOR 1360 PLUS TAX
6YR/75000 MILES FOR 1300 PLUS TAX
6YR/100000MILES FOR 1740 PLUS TAX
7YR/100000MILES FOR 2040 PLUS TAX

HERE IN FL WARRANTIES ARE REGULATED BY THE STATE AND CAN
NOT BE FOR LESS. TONY

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
TONYSFINS said:
THERE ARE OTHER EXTENDED WARRANTIES THRU ACURACARE.

5YR/100000 MILES FOR 1360 PLUS TAX
6YR/75000 MILES FOR 1300 PLUS TAX
6YR/100000MILES FOR 1740 PLUS TAX
7YR/100000MILES FOR 2040 PLUS TAX

HERE IN FL WARRANTIES ARE REGULATED BY THE STATE AND CAN
NOT BE FOR LESS. TONY
I don't think they are regulated by the state.

The prices vary from dealer to dealer. You do not have to buy the warranty from the dealer you purchase the SUV from. You can buy from any authorized dealer in the United States. Peabody in Mass. had the cheapest rate of $1700 for the 7 year 100,000 mile $0 deductable warranty. Do not think think you have to pay those prices above. They are inflated. There is also a difference with the deductable you choose. DO NOT PAY THOSE PRICES.
Use the internet and email dealers or call peabody directly and buy over the phone and they will mail you the acura care warranty. You can go to any authorized dealer for the warranty or service work, even the dealer you purchased the SUV from. I would tell them that Peabody is offering this price and see if they will match it, if not order from peabody. There is a high markup on these warranties. My dealer that I bought my MDX in NY wanted $2500 for the same warranty that I paid $1700 for. They wouldn't match so I bought from Peabody!!!!

This is also a good dealer to get from but peabody beat their prices by $50.00

http://hondaacurawarrantiesatspringfieldmotorcars.com

·
Registered
26 Posts
They are regulated here in FLORIDA. WE CAN NOT discount warranties in FLORIDA>I am sure they maybe different rates else where but not thru Acuracare here in FL. I wouldn't buy a non factory warranty for less . I have been here 11 years with Proctor Acura

·
Registered
86 Posts
just for those who do not want search other threads mentioned and since it wasn't mentioned yet this time: you can buy an extended warranty at any time prior the expiration of the 'main' one. It gives you some time at least to find the best deal without worrying much. Don't know how it affects(if) it's price thought.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
TONYSFINS said:
They are regulated here in FLORIDA. WE CAN NOT discount warranties in FLORIDA>I am sure they maybe different rates else where but not thru Acuracare here in FL. I wouldn't buy a non factory warranty for less . I have been here 11 years with Proctor Acura
All the option I mentioned are oringinal acura care extended warranties. It is less expensive to buy when car is new. Don't buy in florida. In my above post the two dealers are acura dealer peabody in mass. and springfield in NJ.

P.S. Wouldn't you buy the same Acura Care Extended Warranty from another Acura dealer to save $100's of dollars? I'm sure you know you don't have to buy the warranty from the state you live, and any Acura dealer will honor it.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
dfroim said:
just for those who do not want search other threads mentioned and since it wasn't mentioned yet this time: you can buy an extended warranty at any time prior the expiration of the 'main' one. It gives you some time at least to find the best deal without worrying much. Don't know how it affects(if) it's price thought.
Premiums change annually and with the number of miles on the vehicle and age of vehicle it is cheaper to buy when new. Don't get third party warranties the only one you want to consider is the oringinal acura care warranty!

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry, - made few mistakes. I do not know if it affects the price of the policy. At the time I was looking for I got an impression that not much(i at all), but I'm not sure about that(somebody pointed out that it does not, but I still think it, at least, might depend on the "health"(accidents, major breakdowns, maitanance etc).

On the other hand, it may even go down, I think, if MDX will get excellent reliability record....

I decided to wait anyway, since I prefer to pay later - if you can get your money work for you(one way or the other) another 4 years why spend them now for something you're not gonna use during this time? But it's personal.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
dfroim said:
sorry, - made few mistakes. I do not know if it affects the price of the policy. At the time I was looking for I got an impression that not much(i at all), but I'm not sure about that(somebody pointed out that it does not, but I still think it, at least, might depend on the "health"(accidents, major breakdowns, maitanance etc).

On the other hand, it may even go down, I think, if MDX will get excellent reliability record....

I decided to wait anyway, since I prefer to pay later - if you can get your money work for you(one way or the other) another 4 years why spend them now for something you're not gonna use during this time? But it's personal.
I doubt premiums are going to go down. I spoke with acura care directly and they stated premiums don't go down they go up based on inflation and cost of parts increasing. I mainly purchased to protect me for the navagation unit which can be costly to fix. Image replacing the monitor or the cpu under the passenger seat that would pay myself back for the full cost of the warranty. Also the transmission is a very sofisticated unit should that need replacement or fixing that also would repay myself for the cost of the warranty. The SUV itself will probably give us no trouble.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Paul,
most likely, you're right that premiums unlikely to go down(wishes, wishes...), but it does not change anything else I wrote. In fact I already checked with the 'hondaacurawarrranty.....com' site and the first time period/mileage they mentioned was 'up to 24mo/24,000mi from the registration' meaning you have at least 2 years before you get surcharge(premium still can go up though). That's fine with me. BTW, I found several comments there from Floridians...

1 - 20 of 141 Posts