Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good thing about downtown Austin being in a state of perpetual construction is that I get to test out how smooth my MDX handles really bad roads. Ride-wise it's great. I have however noticed a few really annoying and persistent sounds. The first I think I've isolated to the license plate frame, which is only being held by the two top bolts.

Next up was a clunking sound coming from the rear. The culprit ended up being the right rear headrest stored in the cargo compartment.

There is still one noise that I just can't pinpoint. It isn't all that loud but once you know it's there, it'll drive you crazy. It kind of sounds like the rattle you hear when someone has really boomy base in their car that has a lot of loose trim. It also seems to be relatively persistent rather than occuring just over really bumpy roads. It seems to be coming from the passenger side behind the front passenger seat. It could be even with the A pillar or the rear passenger seat. I've tried rubbing Lexol leather conditioner on all of the seats to no avail.

I know I could drown it out by playing the radio at moderate levels, but because I know it's there, I drive around in silence trying to figure it out. :( It's absolutely driving me crazy.

Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
You've probably already checked this one when you did the Lexol thing. We had an annoying hum/buzz-type rattle from the passenger side 2nd row area. It ended up being the outboard passenger seatbelt buckle vibrating against the interior plastic trim. Try moving/repositioning the belt.

Also, a couple of folks mentioned awhile back (coulda been on edmunds) that their cargo cover was ill-positioned, causing a vibrating rattle. Might check that, too.

Good luck. I know how nuts this stuff makes you; I *just now* came back from the Lexus dealer having a couple rattles fixed that they couldn't even hear themselves til I specifically imitated them -- you just turn down the music, roll up the windows, and focus focus focus til it makes you crazy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Worm... the rattling turned out to be the passenger seatbelt buckle. I buckled it up and the sound is gone. Now to figure out a way to keep the license plate frame from making noise.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Check the seat belts

Canson,
I too noticed a persistent rattle in the rear and immediately thought it was the head rests that have been frequently mentioned. But it was higher and turned out to be the third row seat belt metal piece that had flattened agrainst the belt clip. When I repositioned it perpendicular to the belt the noise went away which is I believe the same thing Worm did with his second row belt. However, these annoyances are a triffle compared to the infamous thud I get in the front driver's side. Have noticed the air noise with the break peddle but big deal. No other noise besides these after 600 miles.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
canson said:
Thanks Worm... the rattling turned out to be the passenger seatbelt buckle. I buckled it up and the sound is gone. Now to figure out a way to keep the license plate frame from making noise.
Glad you caught that annoyance w/o having to drag the car to the dealer!

I think a couple of rubber bumpers with tape on the back, like you'd put on the feet of furniture (on a wood floor) would work on the lower part of the license plate. For whatever strange reason, our plate frame doesn't rattle -- but we also don't have the actual plate in it yet. I had to call DMV to find out where the heck our license plate is -- it's been 10 weeks!

Remery, the air compression on the brake pedal is "normal" -- it sounds like all of ours do it. My Lexus does the same thing (tho not quite as loud). I assume it's just the compression of the hydraulic deal (like on the rear hatch) that pushes the pedal back out after you step on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got our plates on Saturday and installed them. No rattle to be found.

Don't worry Worm, the plates will get there soon. It took about 12 weeks for mine. California DMV is not the quickest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
licence plate noise

Thanks for the tip with the foam it was dumb that ther is only two screws at the top.I also have an awful rattle in the front driver side under the hood when you pick up speed it sounds like a chirpping what's up with that I also needed a new radio and I need new wipper blades had since 10/4/00 is that normal?? all and all I love it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Noises Noises Noises - Solution

Hello All,

I have posted my concern about rear end noises before and have found the problem and the solution:

Seems that the rear sway bar is loose when shipped from the factory and needs to be tightened by the prep dept. of your dealer. Of course they forgot to tighten it on my MDX and thus lots of clinks and clunks in the rear. Took it in for 10 minutes and wallllllah...sounds and rides great..makes me feel much much better.

Check em out guys...dealers are not always too smart on this one.

-Tarun

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHA!

I finally found the source of my rattling! Turns out that the rear center seatbelt was not properly stored in the ceiling mount. I had my wife drive while I rode in the back seat. Sure she got kind of mad because I wouldn't let her play the radio or open the sun roof, but I found the cause of my annoyance.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Anybody know what the fix is for the rattle from the cargo cover ? It appears to be installed correctly...I think it might be the vinyl tapping the metal crossbar. This would be one instance where I'd prefer something be plastic instead of metal. I don't think there would be a rattle.

·
Registered
733 Posts
FWIW, I had an annoying rattle for a while that turned out to be the cover/door over vehicle jack. Took forever to find as the noise actually sounded like it was coming from much closer to the front of the cabin ... I was sure it was either the that center seatbelt or one of the rear grab handles.

As for the cargo cover, mine too rattles like crazy. Just been leaving it out of the X unless I really want to use it. Someday I'll get around to working on the rattle so I can leave it in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts