Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new mdx....only 300 miles on it and it starts making a rattling noise once I have accelerated to approx. 30mph and then stops before it reaches 40 mph. Has anyone else had this problem and do I need to take it to the dealer ASAP?:(

p.s. I love my x!!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Need more info -- is the rattling apparently coming from the engine, front underneath, rear underneath, or where? On mine, I hear a light, fast noise that could be engine rattling or light pinging during medium acceleration at about 3000rpm, just before the transmission shifts into 2nd or 3rd gear. 93 octane or 89 octane, no difference.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rattling noise is coming from the front right (underneath?)of the engine...from what I can tell. The noise isn't loud as you can't hear it if the stereo is on. It only happens when accelerating and then disappears. I'm using 93 octane. That's the best way I can describe it. Thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can never go wrong by taking it to the dealer.

But from what you have explained so far it could be the VTEC kicking in. I notice the motor making a "rattling" sound when the rpms get up high enough for the VTEC to kick in... It sounds like noisy rockers.

Again, I know it is hard to describe the noise you are getting, it is equally as hard for us to diagnose without seeing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from the dealer.....turns out that there is a metal bracket holding a wire on the upper right side of the engine. When I accelerated the wire vibrated causing the metal bracket holding it to vibrate which in turn vibrated against the metal side of the engine....making the rattling noise. One quick push down on the bracket to move it off the side and it was fixed! Thanks for all the help:) :)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
When you say "right side" of the engine, do you mean the right as you're looking @ it from the front (hood open; which would be the battery & airbox side) or the right when you're behind the wheel in the driver's seat (which would be the washer fluid fill side)?

If the former (battery/airbox side) then I think you are talking about the throttle cable bracket.

Just trying to clarify. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the throttle cable bracket on the right side where the battery/airbox is....wish I was more mechanically inclined. I was afraid to mess around with anything on a new vehicle. I'm just happy that it was nothing major:D :D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Exhaust shield

It could be the shield that covers the exhaust system which sometimes makes noises until it reaches a certain temperature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts