Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be specific to 2G MDXes, since I have this on my 1G MDX as well as my ex's TL. I guess I have just gotten used to this, but someone pointed out recently who was in my car that when I accelerate at slow to moderate speeds, there is this rattling tin can noise. I actually did not notice it because every single Acura I have driven has had this. Once it was pointed out, now I notice it. My old Volvo never had this, my BMW does not have this, and my parents' and siblings' cars do not have this. A friend of mine has a 2005 TL and he has it too (at least that's what he told me). Anyone familiar with this noise? It is only during acceleration from 40-60KM or thereabouts. And it sounds exactly as described - a rattling tin can noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same noise during acceleration or somewhere between 2nd and 3rd gear. I had the Acura dealership near me investigate and they determined that it is a an aluminum shroud or some type of protection underneath the shifter. They said there is nothing wrong nor any missing bracket or screws so they advised me to have it welded somewhere else (to save money) if it is bothering me. I left it alone and after a while it went away (or perhaps I have gotten used to the noise)

·
Registered
363 Posts
This may not be specific to 2G MDXes, since I have this on my 1G MDX as well as my ex's TL. I guess I have just gotten used to this, but someone pointed out recently who was in my car that when I accelerate at slow to moderate speeds, there is this rattling tin can noise. I actually did not notice it because every single Acura I have driven has had this. Once it was pointed out, now I notice it. My old Volvo never had this, my BMW does not have this, and my parents' and siblings' cars do not have this. A friend of mine has a 2005 TL and he has it too (at least that's what he told me). Anyone familiar with this noise? It is only during acceleration from 40-60KM or thereabouts. And it sounds exactly as described - a rattling tin can noise.
its the heat shields for the exhaust. I think the spot welds corrode/break and that causes the shields to rattle. There are posts on here about how to fix it. I went to the Home Depot and bought a few large (I think I posted the info/sizes here) worm gear clamps and used that to secure them. I think there were three. One was a pita to do.

But now I've got the same rattle back and i checked the clamps and all are still in place and snug. It mostly happens when its cold out, I guess maybe thermal expansion causes this new noise to stop once the car warms up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
its the heat shields for the exhaust. I think the spot welds corrode/break and that causes the shields to rattle. There are posts on here about how to fix it. I went to the Home Depot and bought a few large (I think I posted the info/sizes here) worm gear clamps and used that to secure them. I think there were three. One was a pita to do.

But now I've got the same rattle back and i checked the clamps and all are still in place and snug. It mostly happens when its cold out, I guess maybe thermal expansion causes this new noise to stop once the car warms up.
here you go: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/43338-dealer-smoking-crack-exhaust-shield-rattle.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts