Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that my 2017 MDX recently has a grinding rattle noise after starting the engine, it lasts a second then gone. Mostly this happens when the car is cold, like first starting in the morning. when the car is warm, the noise is not obvoius, sometimes can not be heard. What could be the cause?

I recorded the noise. see link below.
StartRattleNoise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some search. It seems this is a common issue on Acura/Honda vehicles like TSX and CRV. It's caused by the faulty valve timing control (VTC) actuator. Not sure this is the same case. My Mdx does create a loud grinding rattle sound lasting for a second everytime I start it cold.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine does it too, all the 3rd gen MDX that I have heard do the same. I think the idle stop start feature is at least a portion of the noise. Maybe the starter is more robust than normal or perhaps it goes into a 'ready' position after starting?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Mine does it too, all the 3rd gen MDX that I have heard do the same. I think the idle stop start feature is at least a portion of the noise. Maybe the starter is more robust than normal or perhaps it goes into a 'ready' position after starting?
The Tech doesn’t have idle stop/start.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
On earlier MDX's (1st gen), the starter would remain engaged to the flywheel and over-rev as engine started. It made a horrible screeching sound similar to a slipping accessory belt. Fix was to replace starter or remove and lube the Bendix movement. I thing the FAQ's have something on this issue.

The rattling of the Vtec actuator is a noisy rattle from valve train that last a few secs. Plenty of examples on youtube to compare.

good luck

·
Registered
500 Posts
The Tech doesn’t have idle stop/start.
True, but mine sounds exactly like that and it's reasonable to think its the same starter mechanism. I would call it a design "characteristic".

·
Registered
869 Posts
From parts lists, same starter, different battery ( AGM for Advance with idle-stop ). I wouldn't have guessed same starter, but there it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts