Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my 2017 MDX recently has a grinding rattle noise after starting the engine, it lasts a second then gone. Mostly this happens when the car is cold, like first starting in the morning. when the car is warm, the noise is not obvoius, sometimes can not be heard. What could be the cause?

I recorded the noise. see link below.
StartRattleNoise

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some search. It seems this is a common issue on Acura/Honda vehicles like TSX and CRV. It's caused by the faulty valve timing control (VTC) actuator. Not sure this is the same case. My Mdx does create a loud grinding rattle sound lasting for a second everytime I start it cold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mine does it too, all the 3rd gen MDX that I have heard do the same. I think the idle stop start feature is at least a portion of the noise. Maybe the starter is more robust than normal or perhaps it goes into a 'ready' position after starting?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Mine does it too, all the 3rd gen MDX that I have heard do the same. I think the idle stop start feature is at least a portion of the noise. Maybe the starter is more robust than normal or perhaps it goes into a 'ready' position after starting?
The Tech doesn’t have idle stop/start.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
On earlier MDX's (1st gen), the starter would remain engaged to the flywheel and over-rev as engine started. It made a horrible screeching sound similar to a slipping accessory belt. Fix was to replace starter or remove and lube the Bendix movement. I thing the FAQ's have something on this issue.

The rattling of the Vtec actuator is a noisy rattle from valve train that last a few secs. Plenty of examples on youtube to compare.

good luck

·
Registered
225 Posts
Any updates on this grinding noise after start up? my 2017 started making a grinding noise right after start a couple months ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2017 Advance over the summer and notice when I am standing outside of the vehicle and it is started... the exact same noise, primarily on cold starts in the morning. Exactly the same as the audio in the video in the first post.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Does anybody know if there is a service bulletin on this issue?

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
552 Posts
By any chance your car battery is weak?
Couple weeks back I took out my 2015 tlx for a ride after sitting in the garage for 2 weeks. At home it started fine but after shopping it failed to start. What freaked me out is all those weird sounds it made. Yes, there was grinding sounds much worse than what OP posted. After a jump start, it's normal now as I start the car frequently now, at least once a week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to bring more information to everyone here experiencing this problem. My wife's 2017 MDX with SH-AWD started experiencing this cold start rattle about a year after purchasing the vehicle. Since I purchased the MDX as a CPO, I insisted the starter motor be replaced as it is covered under warranty and through much deliberation the dealer indeed gave me a brand new starter. The bad news is even the brand new starter did not help the rattle from going away. The Honda Ridgeline forums shows many users with the same problem and there's still yet to be a fix...

·
Registered
3 Posts
After looking at this from a different perspective, I believe I found a solution to this problem. The fix was a $10 OEM oil filter during my last oil change. I had been using aftermarket WIX and FRAM filters which I thought were suitable since I never had problems with them on any of my other Honda vehicles. If anyone else has this rattling issue consider doing an oil change and using a genuine Acura/Honda oil filter. It took a few cold start for the rattling to subside but after about 2 weeks my rattling completely went away.

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hybrid Advance - Lunar Silver Metallic
138 Posts
After looking at this from a different perspective, I believe I found a solution to this problem. The fix was a $10 OEM oil filter during my last oil change. I had been using aftermarket WIX and FRAM filters which I thought were suitable since I never had problems with them on any of my other Honda vehicles. If anyone else has this rattling issue consider doing an oil change and using a genuine Acura/Honda oil filter. It took a few cold start for the rattling to subside but after about 2 weeks my rattling completely went away.
If the oil filter change fixed it, and it occurred during cold starts in cold weather, perhaps it’s the oil filter bypass valve that’s opening up while the engine oil is too cold to properly push through the filter? Just a thought....probably not and most likely something else related to a cold engine, considering the 0-20W oil Acura specifies. My 2017 Adv. does this “tapping” or rattling sound for the first 30-60 seconds also after a cold start in cold weather, but purrs after that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2016 SH-AWD MDX makes the same rattling/grinding noise on cold start for the past couple years. Because it's hard to reproduce, the dealers are not putting much effort in diagnosing the cause. Initial the noise was occasional. Now, it's almost every time after driving and leaving the engine off for 30+ minutes. Odd thing is this - it doesn't make that noise if the engine is started and shut off without driving the car, even after 60+ minutes. So that noise is there on cold start after a drive. Here's a video of the rattling/grinding noise:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had the same issue in my 2010 accord “ the actuator problem” was how it was referred to by the dealer. I always use Honda filters, but they changed them a few years ago so I’ll probably switch to a Purolator after my next one, and I always use synthetic oil. Honda/Acura knows exactly what the problem is they just don’t see the need to repair them. I’m trying not to worry about the noise. Other than the start up noise and the faulty navigation it’s a good vehicle and I would probably buy another one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2016 SH-AWD MDX makes the same rattling/grinding noise on cold start for the past couple years. Because it's hard to reproduce, the dealers are not putting much effort in diagnosing the cause. Initial the noise was occasional. Now, it's almost every time after driving and leaving the engine off for 30+ minutes. Odd thing is this - it doesn't make that noise if the engine is started and shut off without driving the car, even after 60+ minutes. So that noise is there on cold start after a drive. Here's a video of the rattling/grinding noise:

My 2017 MDX has the same sound. Took to Local Acura Dealer and they have No Idea what it is and the warranty runs out next week. I had them give me a paper showing they heard the sound but cannot make it out. No Repair Done. This needs to be a Recall !!! Has anyone found out what this is ? Only Acura has serviced the car since New. So I have no idea what the problem is sounds to be coming from the Transmission or Starter area.
Thanks
Tony B.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
552 Posts
I notice that my 2017 MDX recently has a grinding rattle noise after starting the engine, it lasts a second then gone. Mostly this happens when the car is cold, like first starting in the morning. when the car is warm, the noise is not obvoius, sometimes can not be heard. What could be the cause?

I recorded the noise. see link below.
StartRattleNoise
I had the same exact grinding noise on cold start up, kind of disappeared after my 2.5k trip over the summer. The sound is back but not at the same level as before. I am also wondering if this actually an issue that needs a dealer visit.
I have a 2016 ADV.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.