Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I'm still trying to track down this sound - I have a scope coming via amazon soon but so far I've identified its not

• struts
  • anything in the glove box
  • anything in center console area
  • the radio itself since I removed it
  • the steering shaft or plastic trim for steering shaft in lower dash
  • a sound that occurs under vehicle so its definitely in the cabin
  • not in vent or defrost drivers side area - tapping on duct work does not recreate sound

I've also removed all the dash panels but the sound persists.

It sounds like its in the drivers sider rear upper dash area but no idea - sound happens on turns left or right or heavy acceleration.

Here's a video of it in case it helps if anyone else has been down this road:

https://youtu.be/SDPM4zVDeGI

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sounds like swaybar to me. Easy enough to test (just disconnect one or both of the links). I can't think of anything big enough to cause THAT much of a clunk inside the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Haven't had that issue with my 06.

To me, it sounds metallic, like a thin metal bar clanging against thin metal (nail in a can). Can't tell if it's timed exactly with turning the steering wheel or more from the X pitching. Total guesses again. If the noise is timed with the steering wheel, in the cabin I would check if the steering assy is loose from the dash mounts or u-joint is loose at the bottom of the shaft where it connects to steering gear pinion. I recall you have a post about steering looseness. Maybe they're connected (or disconnected). If the sound is lower and outside, the two bolts that mount the steering gear.

If you can lift both front tires, then you could have someone turn the wheel and you can get under the dash to check for the sound while the car is static. Turn the steering wheel, shake the tires, etc.

I know you don't thing it's the strut but there's a strut mount at the top and it has a strut bearing. The mounts are up high under the plastic trim at both corners of the windshield.

Be interesting to know when you find out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resolved!

So after spending much more time than I planned - probably 6 hours in total between disassembling part of the dash and scooping everywhere I could think of I decided to do something "interesting".

I ended up basically having a friend drive the car while I literally laid on top of the hood - with him going less than 5 MPH and turning left and right I was able to hear the noise - drivers side but much lower than what it appeared to sound like from an interior perspective. I was able to feel the item banging around in the fender area basically near the strut tower.

Pointed my scope in that direction and voila...someone apparently lost a socket when they were changing the struts and left it for the next owner to find it...maybe thats why they sold it to begin with. Unforutnately there's no way to get to it with out drilling a hole under the black plastic wheel liner. Anyways thought I'd share in case someone else comes across this.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can't grab it with a magnetic retriever?

That would drive me nuts. I'd probably pull the plastic fender liner and/or drop the strut if I had to.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
LOL. You could just tape a big ol' magnet to the inside of the fender liner. As soon as the socket rolls over that way... *THWAP* it's trapped forever. Or until you take the magnet off, anyway. ;-)

Congratulations on finding a "strange one". This thread is a good example of "it's not necessarily something that you're gonna find on youtube"... ;-)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here's an idea. You know that hardening foam insulation in a can? Maybe you could nail that sucker with a good squirt. If you ever sell the thing, the next owner will curse the day you were born. But hey, the can already got kicked to you, you're just sending it on its way.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Like the magnet ideas or some way to lock it in.

If you can see the socket with your scope, can you tape a magnet on the end of it and fish it out?

Since you seem pretty talented at pulling the dash apart :), if look at the plastic inner fender on ehonda parts, looks like there are screws that hold it to the body. Maybe you can unscrew and bend the inner fender away enough to push or drop the socket.

Anyways, glad to hear you found it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts