Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rattle that seems to come from the front part of car - right front I believe - very noticeable when turning hard right, possibly hard left as well. (Usually at low speeds because it only seems to arise when turning fairly hard). It's a rattle that sounds like a heat shield but i don't think that's it, it doesn't seem connected to engine speed.

I've taken a quick look for loose bits before I go to dealership. The cowling (I think it's called) in the right front wheel well may have something securing the various parts of the cowling missing. I've taken a picture, attached here. It seems pretty obvious where whatever holds the cowling in place is missing, although the parts all seem plastic, so the metal rattle doesn't seem to fit. The other front wheel well's cowling is more securely attached, but looks quite a bit different.

Request: if anyone could take a look and compare how the front right wheel well looks, or even better, post a photo here. It's very easy to take a look when car is parked with wheels turned hard right. Would be very helpful, and thanks in advance.

Any thoughts or experience with anything like this would also be welcome. This is a 2014 model.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Could you record a video? there arent many metal things that make sound in the suspension area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you record a video? there arent many metal things that make sound in the suspension area.
Thanks. Don't have the extra set of hands to record a video safely. But went out and poked around and think I've isolated where it likely is. Your reply encouraged me to get under there and look more carefully, so appreciate the response.

This is a photo of mostly the same area. Down in the lower centre, you can see part of a plastic shield running from the front that's slightly loose; it appears to me that it should be bolted into a metal part above (part of heat shield?), not visible, that would hold both of them tight. The metal part to which this is attached seems a wee bit loose. The similar part on left front wheel area is attached securely. (I don't know whether the cowling where the star-like gap shows should be attached, but that bit is plastic and I doubt is the source of the sound)

I tried to get a picture from underneath (several inches in from the loose bit below) but the pictures don't show well. Pasting it below anyway.

I'm not sure this is the right angle/spot but think it's the bolt hole on the middle far right that's missing its attachment.

Thanks for the encouragement to look again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally got to my dealership, mechanic got in the car for me to hear the noise, and went and got a crowbar-like thing, stuck between spokes of front wheels where the brake discs/calipers are, and made small adjustment. Problem solved, no charge. (He looked at the other loose thing and said fine to do at next service).
His explanation was plate or shield behind brakes moved/misadjusted if e.g. something got in, sound only when turning as wheel leans somewhat on turn. This conversation wasn't in English so any misstatement/misunderstanding is my own; since they didn't charge anything and fixed it in five minutes, that explanation works for me.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
His explanation was plate or shield behind brakes moved/misadjusted if e.g. something got in
There was at least one other poster here who reported loud noises where it was determined that some debris got stuck in the shield along with the simple fix of just removing the debris.

I'm glad it was a simple and quick fix for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts