Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I did bend the bracket further and retorqued the mounting bolt. There's really no noticable ping anymore, and hasn't been in quite some time.

With windows down, going uphill under load, and good bushes/buildings alongside to magnify sound, I still can here "something". Certainly not the "marbles in a bottle" sort of pinging. Could be just a "loud" or reverberating air intake for that matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find it irresponsible that Accura has not responded to the "pinging" problem one year after PolyTat, MDXinATL and myself (rexram) brought the solution to this forum. Car dealerships and owners alike have agonized over more probable solutions such as octane levels, or valves, only to realize that it is something as simple as bending the "throttle cable support bracket" with your fingers. C'mon Accura, this is the easiest of all engineering fixes. rexram

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pinging/ratchity sound fixed

I too had the pinging sound at 3000 miles. The sound came from the driver's side of the engine compartment upon acceleration from 2,500-3000 RPM. Very annoying.

I tried the bracket bend remedy mentioned by MDXinATL in this thread and it WORKED. Thanks a lot, and great picture too. Relieved to know that it wasn't real engine "pinging". It's like a new car now.

Thanks a lot and great picture too.

PS. My dealer had no clue too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to thank MDXinATL for his/her solution.
I fixed the annoying accelerating noise problem within 5 minutes.
This website is the great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bracket Bend not the cure for 2004

I was hearing pinging in my 2004 X and 3 dealers I have taken it to say this is "normal". To make their point, we also took a drive in a 2003 model and the ratchety/pinging sound could also be heard on it. Of course I'm not satisfied and am trying to contact Acura about the issue.

In the 2004 model, the bracket has been relocated and isn't the cause. It is noted however, that after a recent oil change when I reverted from Castrol Syntec Blend to the mineral Castrol GTX, I haven't heard the noise. Of course, the weather here in the NW is also getting cooler. Who knows? I wouldn't expect the type of oil being used would be a factor. Temperature though, could be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bracket fix worked!

It's amazing! After a few years of off&on trying to convince my dealer of this noise, I couldn't get them to look for any possible fix. I was convinced that it was some sort of rocker problem, or maybe just pinging! I was worried that every mile I was driving me car closer to its grave. I have 3 very nice vehicles and will be needing to get rid of one. This month, I was about to put this on the block for it died. I've been visiting AcuraMdx.Org for at least a year and a half and occasionally checked for this problem using various terms to no avail. Finally, on a lark, today I tried 'ratcheting' and voila!

I really can't believe that Acura/Honda engineers here in the US aren't using resources like this website and others to continually learn the tricks that regular mechanics are using to validate real problems, big or small, and to translate them into TSBs. That way, service techs and just fix a problem on a customer's first visit. Then, they could spend more time doing what they do well; making up other problems that customers can overpay for, thus generating lots of service revenue!

Thanks folks! Now, if only I can get Acura to address my sluggish, sometimes stuttering, near-stalling performance on acceleration at or near 35-40 MPH and 1500-2000 RPM. Any ideas?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts