Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my 2001 gg/nav a few months ago and have been loving it right up until the engine light and the VTM both lit up. I took it in and they told me rats have been eating the wiring. I live in the Santa Monica mountains which is paradise except for this dirty little secret about its robust rodent population. It seems they like the warmth of the engine and are inclined to pass the night away nibbling on the hard rubber to keep their teeth from getting sharp and long enough to where they can actually hurt themselves and their friends. Needless to say rat teething is not covered under warranty. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
411 Posts
This happened to my 94 BMW a few years ago. It was not covered by any warranty, but insurace covered a part of it. Try to take up with your insurance company, Also try to put some rodent repellent there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I would start with Rat traps and some poison. If your against poisons or killing them yourself a half dozen wild cats or a few Boa Constrictors may work also. WARNING!! do not do the snakes and cats at the same time.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
shmill said:
I received my 2001 gg/nav a few months ago and have been loving it right up until the engine light and the VTM both lit up. I took it in and they told me rats have been eating the wiring. I live in the Santa Monica mountains which is paradise except for this dirty little secret about its robust rodent population. It seems they like the warmth of the engine and are inclined to pass the night away nibbling on the hard rubber to keep their teeth from getting sharp and long enough to where they can actually hurt themselves and their friends. Needless to say rat teething is not covered under warranty. Any suggestions?
dude that is the sickest sh*t I have ever heard...NO WAY...SANTA MONICA???? Ahhh and I thought living there would be a dream...whoah!

Well...Am sorry to hear that..."you dirtee raaat....nyah..nyah...you dirtee little raaat...." :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You Need a Verminator!

shmill,
Auto eating rats, now I have heard about everything. Suggestions for live rat killers would be Scotties, Schnauzers or Jack Russells. Inanimate rat killer would be rat traps baited with peanut butter. The latter will get them every time. I have yet to see a varmint that can resist peanut butter. Crunchy works as well as smooth but is harder to spread on the trigger. Got 11 chipmunks that way that were gnawing through my A/C control cable.

·
Registered
608 Posts
shmill said:
Move to sunny, mild Alberta. We're rat free (honest!!!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is not uncommon....they are attracted to the rubber insulation on the wiring. had a friend have this happen to his volvo several years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was telling my husband about your alarming situation. His suggestion was to spread peanut butter all over the wires/cables in your spouse's car, then park it next to your MDX.

Given his propensity to use a spouse as bait, I better sleep with one eye open!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too- twice

This has happened to me twice now, in my 2001 and 2003 MDX. I do not live in the hills, but I'm sure there are rats everywhere. My husband and all my neighbors park in their driveways and the street and it has never happened to any of them. The first time the dealer had one other car in there with the same problem. This time there are 3 cars in, two MDX and one TL. The service person told me there is some protective shield under the front end which the rats jump onto and then into the engine. It's expensive and inconvenient to have fixed. When it happened the first time we figured it was bad luck that they chose my car, but now I'm sure that due to the design Acuras are more susceptible. It is so gross. I had just looked under my engine about a month ago because the battery had to be replaced. When we looked under the hood yesterday it was filled with rat droppings. I also talked to someone else about a mile away with an Acura that had this problem. We have lodged a complaint with Acura. Now it's happened a second time in a second car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
Pip
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing