Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't find an answer to my question. I detailed my MDX yesterday with Zaino and also used Rain X. Has anyone had problems getting the Rain X off of the glass after applying it? I rubbed until I was sore. I can still see smears from the Rain X on my windshield. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
359 Posts
smears

I use it on my current vehicles and use a slighlty damp paper towel and then use a dry one. Seams to take care of the streaks. I assume that is what you meant by "removing RainX."
Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Agree with last post... I've been using RainX for years... multiple vehicles works beautifully. It is a bit hard to get the last of it off, and a damp, clean rag works wonders!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
After applying it and wiping it off, I take a spray bottle filled with water with a clean towel and go over it again. It seems to do the trick, better than getting Rain-X elbow.
:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've found that you need to use it sparingly. Much better to use an amount that seems like too little, and do multiple coats, then to use too much and spend time trying to get rid of the excess. Removing the excess can take much longer and lots of effort too.

I usually start with a clean cloth that is just barely wet, (almost dry!) and squirt about a teaspoon on the cloth. That should cover about 1/3 of the windshield. Wait until it hazes over and is dry, then repeat. Wait again until it hazes over then remove with a clean soft cloth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I did the treatment this last weekend, meticulously cleaned the windows, applied 2 coats and buffed dry. Looked great in my garage, but the next time out in the sun there was a streaky haze all over! I tried Margarita's trick with the spray bottle tonight, and it looks like it worked, will find out tomorrow. Didn't realize this was like waxing the windows.

BTW, MsGhost points out that our house windows are far dirtier than the MDX ones, and why don't I maybe spend a bit of time with those. Think I'll try to play the 'windshield safety' card on that one... :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
ghost said:
I tried Margarita's trick with the spray bottle tonight, and it looks like it worked, will find out tomorrow. :)
The water will help get the haze off, but as you probably know, Rain-X will last for some time. After applying, the first time you wash the truck with your "car wash soap" all of the haze will be gone and the Rain-X remains. I usually apply it a day or two before I wash it because those hazy windows are so annoying!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i was able to get the haze off by using a dry paper towel to apply the two coats and then use a damp one to wipe it off....

·
Registered
715 Posts
This thread may be dead since it hasn't been touched since July, but since I am a confirmed RainX user, I have to put my 2 cents in for anyone thinking of using RX.

1. Start with an absolutely clear, clean windshield. Why? Any dirt or grime will interfere with RX application and smear and smudge during its buffing (removal)

2. Apply RX to a cloth, not directly to the windshield. Why? Most people will spray on too much, and it will be a bear to remove.

3. Let dry to a haze for about 2 minutes.

4. Spritz windshield with water and buff with plenty of dry paper towels. Don't chintz and try to make a 12"x12" square last for the whole windshield.

5. Ta Da. Your windshield should look clear with NO hazing, but rest assured RX is already at work.

If you still have hazing on your windshield you either have applied too much RX or have not used water with your paper towels to buff the stuff off.

Try it. I use it on my windshield and the rear window.....what a difference it makes!! Side windows are optional.

Good RXing fellow MDXers!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Good posts never die, they just go into hibernation for awhile...:)

Hey Oct, how long do you wait between RX applications? I'm 4 months into mine, and it's still hanging in there, but soon we'll be into the time when it's Too Darn Cold to do anything. Is there a way to remove the old RX before applying a new coat, or should I just have at it with a fresh coat? Or am I good till March?

Thx! :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
ghostman, keep pourin' it on! Just like old soldiers, RX never dies, it just fades away!;)

I used to live in Chicago and I remember RX lasting about 2-3-4 months depending on the amount of snow, salt, rain, etc.

It IS more difficult to apply in cold weather, however.

You are the best judge of when you need another spritz of the stuff.....when those beads of water don't run up your windshield quite as fast as they used to is probably a signal that the time has come.

Just like with Zaino, thinner seems to be better. Applying a thin coat more often is better than a single heavy coat which can be a Minnesota bear to remove. :D

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
a lot of people don' t like Rain-X

But I'm not one of them. I love the stuff. You do have to very carefully follow their directions or you may never get the haze off. Preferably do it when it is 65degrees or warmer. But if not, warm the windshield with the defroster. And.. make sure the surface is VERY CLEAN and DRY. I apply in fall and is good for all winter, amazing stuff. I also use it on all the windows. It keeps them cleaner and they don't tend to pick up so much abrasive fine dirt through the winter. Glass is somewhat porus so treating w/Rain-X actually seals the window, a bonus.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Anyone had any experience with that new product that's out? I don't remember the name, but they claim it's spray on and wipe off quick.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Atlanta....I was looking for it in the stores as well....and I also cannot recall the name of it. The TV ad shows this guy with a storm approaching getting out of his car, spritzing his windhield, wiping and driving off, to clearer windows supposedly.

Will be on the lookout for this stuff and let you know if I find it....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well it was sunny and hit 55 here today - that's extraordinary for this time of year here (30 above average), and a clear sign that I had to leave work early to get home and apply a coat of RainX for the winter :D:D

Just finished - it does take a lot of rubbing, not to mention there's a half acre of glass to cover. But it's done! :)

Hmm - see this is my second cut-out-of-work-early post this thread, maybe I'm getting a bad attitude...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Octavian,

I think it's a Castroil Product, but I'm just grasping at straws from what I remember of the commercial. I saw the exact same commercial you described. The guy stops at a Red Light and does it as the storm approaches.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Atlanta....yeah, Castrol sounds vaguely familiar. Will check my local auto sources on Friday.

Ghost....you wrote ..."Just finished - it does take a lot of rubbing, not to mention there's a half acre of glass to cover. But it's done!"

I wonder why you still had a lot of rubbing to do. Did you give the windshield a few spritzes of water after it hazed and before you buffed? Until I leared that trick, I was buffing and buffing until I went blind. :p

Anyway, glad you got it on...."I can see clearly now, the RainX is gone" tra la.....:cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just got my RainX today. Will apply Octavian's instructions tomorrow before the trip to LA. Thanks for the suggestion and the tips, you all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts