Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Radio Replacement Options For '06 MDX

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Illustro 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys!

i can't afford the high cost of the satellite service. theres only a handful of stations that i listened to and can't justify almost 300 + bucks a yr.

The unit that came with the vehicle doesn't have an aux jack for me to hook up an mp3 player or a way to connect my phone either wired nor wirelessly.

i can probably live without the navigation im sure as i own a garmin as well as a smart phone that works great in that respect. i have both an android / and iphone. i mention this incase it has a bearing on the recommendations you guys might make.

what im interested in achieving is the capability to connect wirelessly or wired or have the option of both so that i may listen to music via the tons of other free options available. would like to still be able to utilize the controls on the steering wheel if possible. also came with the rear camera that i would really prefer to be able to keep also.

this is for my 2006 MDX - tech pckg (i believe is how it was referred)

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you search the forum? There is a LOT of info on installing an aftermarket head unit in the 1st gen MDX.

Heck, just go to Crutchfield.com and they'll sell you everything you need.

#3 ·
#4 ·
So when you did a search, did you read the threads?

For example: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/153313-2006-mdx-audio-upgrade-options.html

TL;DR:

Metra 95-7866B (Double-din trim)
Metra 70-1721 (Head unit wiring harness)
Metra 40-HD10 (Antenna pigtail)
PAC SWI-CP2 (steering wheel control adapter)

Add whatever double-din head unit you want. (I like Alpine head units, but it sounds like you want to keep costs down, so maybe consider Pioneer)

Would look something like this, once installed:

#7 ·
You'll probably want to do the 2-screen set-up as shown by pr07r0457, but Crutchfield isn't much help because their database assumes you want to replace the upper screen. It sounds like you have factory nav system, so your 2-screen will look a little different than his.
I put a Pioneer in mine [link below]. Very happy with it, and the factory nav still works, but without voice commands. That's not a big issue as you're probably going to use your phone for navigation [and you'll get voice directions, Siri, etc with that] so the factory setup is redundant.
If you have a factory nav there is an interface unit you can buy from AVElectronics which will add a backup camera that plays through your factory nav .....very slick but kind of expensive and of course that doesn't give you an aux port.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/1431601-post3.html

#8 ·
okay guys so i feel like a big dummy buy hey you know what you know - lol! i thought that th entire thing needed to be replaced i wasnt realizing that theres two separate units there @p07r0457 that link was a big help thanks for that! @akamai22 ,
this one already has the rear back up cam, that goodness cause i love that thing. i can see you your pic too i think that looks pretty cool. you did a nice job on that! i see you posted the model so i'll search it later and check it out @Illustro, definitely interested in hearing more about this possible option / alternative!! mine has the rear entertainment, yes. thanks for chiming in!

#9 ·
So the rear entertainment includes RCA input jacks in the arm rest of the third row seats (the one on the right when facing the car from the rear hatch). From the radio you can select AUX with the mode button and it will play whatever is connected to the RCA jacks. You can buy a long RCA to 3.5 mm (male) cable or RCA to iPhone cable or use an adapter for iPhone all for a few pennies off eBay and plug that in to your phone, this is what I am using for the last 2 years with no issues (you can route the cable neatly to the front console under the floor mats and seats) and use a clip to hook it near your phone holder.

The other option is to buy a Bluetooth to RCA adapter yet I have not yet tired that and these do require power but there is a power outlet in the cargo area so as long as it can connect to a car 12v it should work. Some units just need you to solder a 12v power adapter and you buy that separately, I might give that a try soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.