Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a handsfree kit installed in my MDX, and the tech wired it so that the radio volume cuts out when I make or receive a phone call, which is really handy. Unfortunately, it also cuts out the Navi voice when I use the phone, which is less handy. Does anyone know if it's possible to mute the radio but not the Navi voice?

Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chazman, I guess that could work. Problem is, I like using the car phone because it gives me something to do while driving. Otherwise I get bored and risk falling asleep. It's the same reason I want to do the "video on navi" conversion -- so I can watch movies from the driver's seat to help stay awake.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
misterjon said:
Chazman, I guess that could work. Problem is, I like using the car phone because it gives me something to do while driving. Otherwise I get bored and risk falling asleep. It's the same reason I want to do the "video on navi" conversion -- so I can watch movies from the driver's seat to help stay awake.
LOL - great to see you're putting safety first! We need more consciencious drivers like you on the road (hopefully not around here...) :D:D:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We really need a "thread of the week" feature when Daniel upgrades the software. Thanks for the laughs, guys.:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Joking?

I hope the man was joking, but we're probably not that lucky.
Too many idiots on the roads with the multi-mile distraction glued to their head. And if you have to rely on the Navi to keep awake, time to say night-night and head for a motel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was joking in my last post -- I don't have the nerve to attempt the video-on-navi conversion. But the mod I did make to my X to help me stay awake while driving is pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

I got tired of pulling over to 7-11s for coffee. It takes time, and the coffee isn't particularly good. So I purchased a Cuisinart TTG-500 Two to Go Coffeemaker from Amazon...

Then I bought a Belkin DC/AC Portable Power Converter so I can plug the coffeemaker into the center console outlet...

Then I used industrial strength Velcro to attach the coffeemaker to the dashboard...

Important! Make sure you use industrial strength Velcro. You're dealing with a hot and potential scalding item on your dashboard, so you want to use the strongest fastener possible.

So now any time I'm sleepy while driving, I just reach over, pour some beans into the Cuisinart (which I've premeasured into little baggies at home so I don't have to take my eyes off the road), add some cold water from my thermos, and in five minutes I've got delicious, fresh coffee without ever having to pull over!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yikes! Coffee maker in the dash? I think your ideas of talking on the phone and watching a movie on the Navi screen are safer solutions :D

By the way, do you get a buzzing noise from the speakers (when the radio is on) when you use the inverter? I have two inverters (different brands), and both units caused buzzing noise. I didn't have this problem with other cars.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Obviously there are some other x-rated things you can do while you drive to stay awake. :)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
misterjon ...

Lemmee see here -- you start with beans & water, make coffee, and drink coffee and drive and drink coffee and drive ... etc.

Soooo, where does the used coffee go when you are done with it? Please don't tell me that is the real reason you buy industrial velcro!!

... almost afraid to ask, but can't help myself

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Responses to questions

robert99b--
I have noticed a buzzing from the speakers which is most pronounced when the heating element of the coffee pot clicks on. Must be particular to the MDX wiring.

srpbep--
Good question, but I have this whole thing worked out. I don't like to waste time by pulling over to buy coffee, let alone using a dirty service station restroom. So, I simply use the empty thermos. Since the amount of water coming out of my body is roughly equivalent to the amount that has gone in, it generally doesn't overflow.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:lol:

My uncle carries an empty bottle in the car. Those crazy Taiwan traffic... sometimes you're stuck on there for hours. What to do...

·
Registered
4 Posts
misterjon said:
Yes, I was joking in my last post -- I don't have the nerve to attempt the video-on-navi conversion. But the mod I did make to my X to help me stay awake while driving is pretty cool, so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

I got tired of pulling over to 7-11s for coffee. It takes time, and the coffee isn't particularly good. So I purchased a Cuisinart TTG-500 Two to Go Coffeemaker from Amazon...

Then I bought a Belkin DC/AC Portable Power Converter so I can plug the coffeemaker into the center console outlet...

Then I used industrial strength Velcro to attach the coffeemaker to the dashboard...

Important! Make sure you use industrial strength Velcro. You're dealing with a hot and potential scalding item on your dashboard, so you want to use the strongest fastener possible.

So now any time I'm sleepy while driving, I just reach over, pour some beans into the Cuisinart (which I've premeasured into little baggies at home so I don't have to take my eyes off the road), add some cold water from my thermos, and in five minutes I've got delicious, fresh coffee without ever having to pull over!

Enjoy!
Where did you install the Alarm clock and the wash basin?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts