Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the sadly unuseful 2002 roof racks. (As many of you know, Acura moved the front crossbar back about 4", probably to reduce the wind noise. It seems to have done that, but the bars are barely 2' apart and almost useless for any long load.) I don't really need a carrier right now, but I would like to be able to carry a long ladder or some 8' (or 10') lumber on the roof. I'm worried that with only the middle 2 feet of the load secured it will be unstable.

Then I saw this post by mcclendons:

'Modified' OEM roof rack

I don't really want to move my back bar to the rear, since that would leave a gap or seam in the gutter molding. So, I've been thinking about adding a 3rd crossbar at the rear mounting position that mcclendons used. It would look a little strange, but might be an eyecatcher (like the xTerra rack). How about someone with PhotoShop editing one in to see what a 3 crossbar rack would look like?

I'm particularly interested in this idea in the light of Tim's recent post: News about 2002 Roof Racks!

Since he's got plenty, some of us could go in together and use 1 crossbar each (I think either one will work at the back). Anybody interested in splitting a roof rack? :)

- Conrad

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The question I would have is whether the three will be flat (i.e. a ladder on the top would touch all three) or will the rear (added) rack be lower and thus the middle one would be too high. If so, a long ladder would rock and would not sit flat. If height is the same for the new location, then it might be a solution. By the way, many factory racks have 3 crossbars (although usually the center one is smaller or lower) so it might not appear that strange.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I beleive that if you go three racks, there will be a differnce in height. Just estimation by looking at mine....... I am happy with the looks of my two setup however

While my setup is far less than ideal, I can carry a tandem kayak on the roof, which was my goal. Its a rigged setup, but can do it. Rigged parts refers to bolting Thule crossbars to a fatmouth clamp so that I could mount carriers. Can't believe that Yjule won't make the clamp for the Acura mount. That was a buying factor on Thule a couple of years back......universal:(

·
Registered
616 Posts
conradsmith said:
Then I saw this post by mcclendons:

Since he's got plenty, some of us could go in together and use 1 crossbar each (I think either one will work at the back). Anybody interested in splitting a roof rack? :)

Conrad,

YES. I actually thought of calling Tim several months ago when I first saw mcclendons solution - not to have 3 cross bars, but so that I could have one of each width and swap for the 'customized' one on the rare occasion I need the extra length between racks. I didn't follow through b/c I wasn't sure Tim wouldn't think I was nuts (and I wasn't convinced of the value of paying for a full set to try it). But since someone else has already offered up the idea, I am willing to come out of the closet and proudly proclaim YES, I WILL TAKE 1/2 OF A ROOF RACK!
It is the least we can do to take Tim's excess inventory off of his hands ;)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sorry Tim, just saw your reply.

So what would the pricing be for one rack? (I assume there is no difference b/w the front and rear) Would it be possible to simply order a replacement cross member - just the bar? Finally, I recall that you are reluctant to ship the channel covers, but can't recall if you had pricing information on them.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts