Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We recently replaced our radiator on our 2002 touring. Some new tubes and thermostat. Now the temperature gage on dash either doesn’t move or goes about an 8th away from cold. And the heat only works when I’m driving. Any pointers?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Something is wrong with the thermostat. It's not unheard of to get a bad one. Sounds like you probably did.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you install the T stat with the jiggle valve up? Have you tried to bleed the system of air? Yes, it’s possible to have a new bad T stat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is the t-stat installed backward?

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it is the correct T stat, you can not install it backwards; not enough room in the outlet cap to bolt up.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the coolant level is correct? Typically, after a rad change, you need to refill and then run the heater to make sure the coolant is filling the entire system. After that, with the engine cold and X level, check the coolant level everyday for a few days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Btw, for DIYers, if you don’t plan to replace the tstat, pinching off the lower radiator hose minimizes coolant loss and air entry during rad replacement as the coolant channel and heads won’t lose much coolant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Need some help... 2001 mdx I had a bad radiator. My mechanic changed it this past weekend. Yesterday my dad drove my car about 50 miles, and said that heat was blasting while the heat was off, at about 50-60 mph and when he slowed down or came to a stop it would stop.

Today I tried to replicate but couldn’t but I did notice the engine area smoking, and smelled like antifreeze but I’m not seeing any leaks. I was driving a little aggressive that way if there was any issues they would show up. The temp was in the middle.
Any idea what the issue might be?

Also three weeks before the radiator failed, I noticed that my radiator cap was broken, I replaced it with one from Pepboys, and then 3 weeks later my radiator had a hole in it. I don’t if the cap had anything to do with it or not but now I’m thinking of just going to Acura and getting an original radiator cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
1. Smoking and smell. I would guess it's spilled and left over coolant. You should wash the engine very well. I mean washing it like your engine hasn't been wash since new. De-grease it if you have to.
2. Blowing hot air. Don't know.
3. Hole in radiator. Probably not the fault of the cap. 2001 MDX radiator is old. I replaced the radiator in my 2004 MDX back in 2014 at 134k miles (preventive). Going to OE cap probably the right thing to do.
So, clean and de-grease the engine, drive and see if the blowing hot air still exist.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
A new radiator won't cause MORE heat in the cockpit. Could be your dad just didn't have the controls adjusted correctly (sillier things happen all the time).

Could be your old radiator cap was failing to maintain the proper system pressure, and the new cap allowed that pressure to reach the proper level, and that was just enough to kill your old radiator (which would have failed anyway, without a doubt). That said, it's not impossible that you DID get a bad cap that allows too much pressure... but given the fairly simple design of a radiator cap, it's probably not likely - but a "real honest to goodness Honda radiator cap" would be one way to make sure this unlikely scenario isn't an issue.

And yeah, after any work on the engine, it's not unusual to have some odd odors as things spilled on the exhaust system are burned off. If it persists for a long time, and you notice that you're still losing coolant, then you need to try to find out where it's going.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Think your mech would have done this but just in case, with a cold engine and level, you should check your coolant level in the rad and overflow res. Add as needed. As mentioned above, the heater should be run to make sure the heater lines are refilled and all the air is expelled. If not, when the system burps, you could get a coolant spill out the res and then the rad might not refill.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts