Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the secret for removing the top cover over the radiator without losing clips. Every time I remove it a clip or two will fall out and head to places unknown. Last time I lost one that bounced onto the engine cover then the back of the engine and another somewhere down on the right side of the engine who knows where. The cover pops straight up but invariably one or two clips will slip loose as I carefully remove the piece.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have lost several clips, over the last year, as well. But, I think I've figured it out. I just had the front bulkhead cover off, this morning, to take pictures of my battery tender connection for someone. Thankfully I didn't lose any clips, this time.

I started at the drivers end of the front bulkhead cover. I put two fingers under the inside edge of the cover, and two fingers under the outside edge. I applied some upward pressure -- just enough to snap the corner clip out of its retainer. Then I worked my way down the length of the bulkhead cover, gently applying pressure to release clips, as I went. Once all the clips were released, I was able to easily pull the bulkhead cover straight up.

That said, I do keep an inventory of the clips and retainers, on hand, because they do have a propensity to break or get lost if I'm overzealous when removing the front bulkhead cover.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've taken that cover off many times and haven't lost any clips - it just pops right off for me and pops right back on. In thinking about it, I think I start at one of the ends of the cover and just start lifting - end, middle, other end.

Where I did have some issues was on the engine cover. The little rubber grommets pop out easily and the cover has to be pushed on 'firm enough' but 'not too firm' or it'll just dislodge the retaining grommets. It's a lousy design IMO. On the bright side, I only took it off to see what was under there and it's not something I've had to take off many times. In the 5 years/52K miles I've had the vehicle I've never really 'had' to take the engine cover off. I have had to take the front/radiator cover off multiple times - for replacing the battery and for replacing the grill chrome trim ring which started having its chrome bubbling off in an area of about 6 inches.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I hate to have to tape an old sheet over the engine every time I pull it off, but maybe I'll do that or use some elephant snot (yellow 3M weather strip glue) on them next time I put it back to keep them aligned in their slots.

Re the bubbling mylar / chrome - the mylar on my RL did that too from small sand and rock strikes from the PO.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re the bubbling mylar / chrome - the mylar on my RL did that too from small sand and rock strikes from the PO.
I know it's off topic - but this appeared to me to be due to a quality issue - i.e. likely some contamination on the plastic before the chrome was applied. It lasted over 4 years without bubbling, naturally, but eventually bubbled. I replaced it a week or so ago. A replacement piece was about $120 from oemacuraparts and it took me maybe 30 minutes to replace it since this was my first time with the grill on the MDX and I took my time.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's off topic - but this appeared to me to be due to a quality issue - i.e. likely some contamination on the plastic before the chrome was applied. It lasted over 4 years without bubbling, naturally, but eventually bubbled. I replaced it a week or so ago. A replacement piece was about $120 from oemacuraparts and it took me maybe 30 minutes to replace it since this was my first time with the grill on the MDX and I took my time.

I had that on my RL but it was caused there by small rock chips that broke the surface.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've lost a couple of clips too, and my solution was to put a very thin layer of high-temp, silicon grease on the studs on the underside of the cover. The panel lifts off easily and doesn't pull the clips with it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Anyone have a part number for these clips?
They were in the picture I posted earlier in the thread.

91548-TZ5-A02 Chassis side

91547-TZ5-A02 Cover side

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've lost a couple of clips too, and my solution was to put a very thin layer of high-temp, silicon grease on the studs on the underside of the cover. The panel lifts off easily and doesn't pull the clips with it.

will give it a try

1 - 11 of 11 Posts