Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the steering pressure hose perfectly. Now the rack and pinion is leaking like a tap. Garage told me to replace 3k $, no way. Can I take it off and replace the seals. Anyone have any experience with this?
We are a well equipped home garage so no fear to do it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are a couple of videos on YouTube with the replacement of the steering rack on the MDX 1st gen. Looks like a good PIA with the front subframe dropping or hanging down. Should be very similar to our 2nd generation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your messing with steering components. If you have a failure, that would not be a good thing. Any reputable shop will only remove and install new. It's not really safe to rebuild something like that.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Seems all models of Acura during that time period will eventually have leaks or failures of P/S pump or rack. My 06 TSX needed both the pump and rack replaced (used pump on eBay for $100 w/ new seals, rack from Amazon for $239, local shop install for $350). My 08 RDX just needed a replacement pump (eBay for $100, local shop install $125).

So far, no issues with P/S pump/rack on my 11 MDX with +154,000 miles; but, I would take the same route when I do have issues.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech
121 Posts
Your messing with steering components. If you have a failure, that would not be a good thing. Any reputable shop will only remove and install new. It's not really safe to rebuild something like that.
I not disputing or belittling your post, only injecting my opinion.. it’s funny that we have become a throw away society over the last 20 - 30 years. Just about every part on a car used to be rebuilt, even brake pads.
Fear of having failed component should not be a reason not to attempt the rebuild if you are capable.
There are reputable shops that would do a rebuild on the rack if it is good. It’s all about time, time is money so they just install in a new one because it theoretically takes less time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMHO Because proper steering rack repairs require the work of a machinist and mechanic, and these are no doubt high-paying jobs in US, many shops have chosen to work only with already rebuilt or new racks.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech
121 Posts
I understand your position but there are many areas in the US and outside of the US that don’t have ready available new parts, it’s getting that way with our 2nd gens.

Some people have to become a machinist/mechanic out of necessity.
The supply chain issues excuse can’t be used forever.
I’m not a machinist or a mechanic, not formerly trained anyway, but I would have no issue rebuilding a ps rack. I’ve always contemplated that though on these Honda built vehicles. It is not easy to replace a rack on many vehicles but Hondas are difficult if you aren’t patient.

Like anything, if you take your time, have the tools, skills and the know how then I would say go for it.

I respect you opinion nonetheless.

*We never know what we are capable of until we try it!!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
what fluid did you use when you fixed your power steering line to bleed the system? Honda fluid is like $3 a bottle and cheaper than auto parts store and the ONLY one to use.

·
Registered
96 Posts
what fluid did you use when you fixed your power steering line to bleed the system? Honda fluid is like $3 a bottle and cheaper than auto parts store and the ONLY one to use.
I only use Honda fluids. If you own any type of Honda you know to only use Honda fluid. For example people use Valvoline Max Life ATF fluid and swear by it. I only use Honda/Acura ATF fluid. Same for Differential fluid and gear oil. Honda/Acura fluid only

·
Registered
180 Posts
Was it leaking from the High Pressure Line before the replacement? If so, is it leaking from the new replacement hose?

There’s a lot of keyboard mechanics over here… whoever thinks replacing steering racks require machinist mechanic or would even suggest it as form of troubleshooting is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
No right or wrong answers, just right or wrong for you. The forum just give someone all the possibilities to reach the same end results depending on their automotive knowledge, skills you have turning a wrench, money, time, and abilities you want to use to solve the issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts