Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a friend with his MDX which steering rack locks up when fully turned in either direction, right or left. This is pretty consistent and happens every time. If I do a U-turn and keep the steering wheel at the left end, the rack becomes extremely hard to return to the center position. I can turning back to center with great effort. If I test this on the driveway, if happens at right or left. If I leave the steering alone when the lock-up happens, the steering becomes normal after about 20 seconds. The service manual does not discuss this problem at all. I tend to believe there is something wrong with the valve at the rack.

I have never had this issue in my MDX or any other vehicle I had have in over 30 years.

Anyone has experience this issue?

Thanks,
Pedro

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
sounds like an issue with the PS system not holding pressure after you go to extreme ends. Have you added any sort of fluid or anything to the system?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We replaced the high pressure hose because it was leaking and flushed the system with new HONDA fluid. The pump was replaced about one or two years ago due to high leaking. My friend does not remember if the lock-up was happening before or after the flushing.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You can try the rack guide adjustment but it could be an issue with the rack itself restricting flow due to worn seals/valve:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I was thinking on the valve of the rack too. The rack returns normal after leaving it alone for about 20 seconds. Imagine waiting about half a minute in a U-turn for the rack to recover, it is a very dangerous situation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is an update, I tested the car in the driveway with a consistent lockup at both extreme ends. Then, I noticed if I increased the engine RPMs the lockup cleared. This was also consistent. This led me to believe the issue was not the rack but something in the pump. By increasing engine RPM I was increasing pump outlet pressure/flow. I decided to do two more flushes in case something got in the system when we replaced the HP hose. After the two flushes the steering was not locking up as it was before. It was not locking up at the extreme left at all. It was locking up slightly at the extreme right though. So, I left it there alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts