Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. Longtime lurker, first-time poster here. We have a 2018 MDX (SH-AWD w/Technology package) and want to install a tow hitch for a bike rack. From what I've read on here it sounds like installing the tow hitch is pretty straightforward. However, I'm wondering whether it would be smart to do the wiring harness at the same time. We wouldn't be using it anytime soon but we've thought about getting a camping trailer sometime later. Would it be smart to do the wiring now, or would it be easy to add on later if we decide to buy a trailer? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just added a OEM hitch with harness a few months ago to my 19 MDX. Mostly for a 4 platform bike rack and occasional swing out cargo carrier (both have 4-way lights). Very clean look and the new cover hides my full size almost 100%. I figured to do it now and be ready when I need it (planning to keep the MDX for +5 years).

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's no harder later than now, so if you think you might not use it right away then I would wait. There is enough of the wiring that needs to run outside that saving a year or two of weather wear on it is a good thing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The factory wiring harness gets installed on the hitch before bolting it to the frame. The hitch valance needs a cutout removed before you mount it. So common sense says add the wiring at the same time. To DIY the hitch all you need is a big metric socket and an able body helper for maybe 15 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm leaning toward doing both at once. And your replies also reminded me I need to take a picture of my MDX to add to my profile. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
The wiring harness just plugs in at the left rear above the storage hatch.You can add it at any time. Go to etrailer .com for info and pricing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
White18,
please go read the hitch and wiring installation instructions before you make claims like that. Yes, the wiring harness simply plugs in, but to do a nice near job it really needs to be done together. The receiver plug is mounted to the hitch, and is fed through a hole you need to cut out of the rear valance. Can it be done after the fact without dropping the hitch platform again? Dont know, but it appears from doing my hitch myself it would be a real pain in the seat to try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
White18,
please go read the hitch and wiring installation instructions before you make claims like that. Yes, the wiring harness simply plugs in, but to do a nice near job it really needs to be done together. The receiver plug is mounted to the hitch, and is fed through a hole you need to cut out of the rear valance. Can it be done after the fact without dropping the hitch platform again? Dont know, but it appears from doing my hitch myself it would be a real pain in the seat to try.
Depends on if it's OEM or aftermarket. Wiring harness is not mounted to my Curt hitch.

Reactions: JohnnyMac_AK

·
Registered
490 Posts
For my '17 MDX I had the Curt hitch and the Curt wiring harness. For my '19 MDX I opted for the OEM hitch, but retained the Curt wiring harness. For me, since I tow so infrequently, I liked the ability to have the easily-installed Curt wiring to be stored inside with no externally-exposed plug (especially with the crappy NH winters we have up here). It is true that if doing the OEM hitch that you must install the OEM wiring harness at hitch install time, if you choose to go that direction.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
No need to cut any holes with the Curt wiring harness.Just plugs in.It is separate from the hitch and You can hide it,when You don't use it.You may have to install a fuse.Big deal!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I installed a Curt hitch and Curt wiring harness as well. Super easy plug and play. You can install the wiring harness before, after, during..... whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everyone. Longtime lurker, first-time poster here. We have a 2018 MDX (SH-AWD w/Technology package) and want to install a tow hitch for a bike rack. From what I've read on here it sounds like installing the tow hitch is pretty straightforward. However, I'm wondering whether it would be smart to do the wiring harness at the same time. We wouldn't be using it anytime soon but we've thought about getting a camping trailer sometime later. Would it be smart to do the wiring now, or would it be easy to add on later if we decide to buy a trailer? Thanks in advance for your help.
We recently bought a 2014 MDX that had the factory hitch installed, but not the OEM wiring kit. I bought the OEM kit and was all set to install it as the wiring part was very straightforward.

However, as previously mentioned, the instructions mentioned installing the plug to the hitch before installing the hitch.

i found that it was impossible to install the plug without dropping the hitch due to the size of the plug and how it fit into the hole in the hitch.

Bottom line is that it’s much easier to do at the time of hitch install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again to everyone for the input. Sounds like doing both at the same time is the wise way to go. Thank you!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I suppose this has already been done, but if not please take note that it is possible to break the cover on the back side of the power socket when maneuvering the hitch into place. Go slow and watch the (somewhat delicate) socket while lifting the hitch into place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Yes, I installed it a couple of weekends ago and came close to doing exactly what you described. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts