Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the market being in its present condition, I've been stalling on the decision to order my MDX. I've even been looking at alternatives.

I've even looked at (ulp) a minivan.

The Odyssey. For less than 34k (list) I can get leather, NAV and other assorted goodies. I plan on putting about 10 k down, so the monthly would be about $150 less.

I'm 6'7". Since the Ody doesn't have a moonroof, it also has 2.5 inches more headroom.

Its the best minivan out there. Unfortunately it doesn't handle as well, doesn't have AWD and its 12" longer. And no matter how you slice it, its still a minivan.

Maybe I've become less likely to indulge myself since we've had our son. Frightening. My big splurge last year? Not a 60" plasma. A sprinkler system. Ooh, how sexy.

I know I'll get some biased opinions. I may post this on an Ody forum as well. So what are your recommendations?

Regards,

Roofer - maybe I should change my name to WaffleBoy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
No doubt the Ody is an attractive and practical vehicle and IMO a better "value" than the MDX. To me, if you need a minivan or if you don't value the AWD, better handling, more HP or "style" than why get the MDX? Two years ago, I didn't need the minivan features and wanted the MDX features. That said, the next vehicle I get (to go alongside the MDX) is likely to be the Ody. Yes, it's a minivan but a very nice one.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I too considered the Odyssey but my issue was the cargo room. With 3 kids, I would always need the 3rd row seat available. If we go anywhere I would lose cargo space because that 3rd row would have to be used by the third child. I know the Dodge's 3rd row splits so you can gain some room that way, but I will not go back to a Chrysler product. So the SUV was the way to go. I can get all 3 kids in the second seat and still have plenty of cargo space. I looked at the Pilot but really wanted heated seats, moon roof, etc. The MDX was the most logical choice for us. AND WE LOVE IT!! Just my thoughts.:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
IMO, I would stick with the Ody. as you are quite tall and the Ody will provide more headroom.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was looking at Ody before the MDX is out of market. Every year, I have visitors come over to visit me, so I need the seven seats vehicle. Ody was the best at that time. (I only consider Japanese cars) Once MDX is out on the market, I knew that will be my perfect car. (Seven seats and 4WD and fit into my price range)

·
Registered
19 Posts
We are right there with ya

Don't buy it unless you can live with NOT having the X! We are in a similar place and we try not to go there, although we know that we will have to put up with the aggravation at the dealer and probably waiting and all that other stuff, and have to spend more money than on many many other vehicles that would be 'serviceable'.

I wish we were like so many other people seem, just able to do it. It's a tough one. Hopefully we will go to the Chicago Auto Show next week and get the chance to enforce our decision. :twak: Then there's getting renov8r, one of the oldest members of this board to finally get this vehicle!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Roofer, you probably have to take a look at the new Sienna (unless you are a diehard Honda fan).
Good luck!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hi..

I droved both Sieana.. and Ody..

No way that Toyota car is better..

I too was looking at Ody before the X...

So.. here's my 2 cent: If you have the $$

get x. If $$ is big problem, get Ody.

After all, what you like the most is not as important then your family. (not that Ody is a bad car)
I'd think you will enjoy Ody too, but I love my X :2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
New Sienna

The new Sienna will be bigger than the current one, probably as big as the current Ody. It will have third seats fall flat to the floor, the third seats will be split seats (so you have the flexibility of folding only one seat to the floor, I guess). It will be available in AWD and it will be out next month. New, stronger engine too. Same as in the new RX?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Before the X was in the market, everytime when I saw a Honda Ody, I always dreamed of having a SUV based on the Ody platform. My dream came true 3 years ago when the X was first introduced. I kept waiting and continually reviewed comments on this board which has become very helpful for me to make up my mind to purchase the 03 X.

Like many X owners said in other threads, if you constantly need a third row seat, you are better off to buy the Ody, otherwise, an occasionally use of the third row seat could justify you to buy the X instead. You can also consider the Pilot which can seat 8 people.

It is a hard choice, but it all depends on your need, your budget, and your personal satisfaction of what you get.

Good luck with your decision.

:4:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmmmmmm....

renov8tress said:
It's a tough one. Hopefully we will go to the Chicago Auto Show next week and get the chance to enforce our decision. :twak: Then there's getting renov8r, one of the oldest members of this board to finally get this vehicle!!!
I went to the auto Show last weekend in Baltimore. I am more confused about what to do now than I was before. :confused: :8:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Get the 'X. . . you'll like it more than the *sigh* minivan.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Plus you can't pick up chicks in a minivan. . .

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Roofer said:

Maybe I've become less likely to indulge myself since we've had our son. Frightening. My big splurge last year? Not a 60" plasma. A sprinkler system. Ooh, how sexy.

Roofer - too cool, what kind of sprinkler system did you get? I've got a buried line system for my raspberry patch - triple branched and I can add in a fertilizer feed. It's over the top!:18:

Rock on, dude!

PS. Get the X.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sprinkler system?

Mostly Hunter components. 102 heads, 20 zones. We've got about an acre and a whole lot of beds. The water bill should be impressive.

Beats the heck out of dragging the hose around tho...

I'm still leaning toward the X. The finances are more an issue of what is the smart thing vs what I really want.

'Course the FX35, RX330, new Sienna and even the double cab Tundra offer interesting alternatives.

I think I need a fleet of 3 or 4 cars.

Roofer

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Sprinkler system?

Roofer said:
Mostly Hunter components. 102 heads, 20 zones. We've got about an acre and a whole lot of beds. The water bill should be impressive...
Wow! :eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: Sprinkler system?

Roofer said:
I'm still leaning toward the X. The finances are more an issue of what is the smart thing vs what I really want.

'Course the FX35, RX330, new Sienna and even the double cab Tundra offer interesting alternatives.

I think I need a fleet of 3 or 4 cars.

Roofer
Get the Ody if you cannot wait too long. The Sienna will be nice but in its first year demand and possible defects will come with it. X is based on the ODY so you are getting the X "backbone".

You cannot go wrong with either one, but if finance is an issue (even a small one) go with the one that meets your "NEEDS" and not your "WANTS".

You can always do the typical PROS & CONS Column analysis... :27: That's how we keep ourselves "somewhat" rational in a usually emotional decision.

Good Luck!!!! and let us know what you decide... :29:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts