Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 has taken to making a quick screeching sound for ~1 sec or less when initially turned over. It seems a little worse when it's colder and/or been sitting for a while.

Anybody experience this and if so, is it a common fault in these vehicles as they get older?

It sounds like an idler or pulley of some sort. I did see a tech bulletin posted here for starter lubrication but, the bulletin doesn't include any symptoms.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It's a (VERY) common problem. The fix is to remove, clean and relubricate the starter. Not a big job, though it does require removing the battery box to get room. There are a host of posts on the subject. Here's a very short video I did showing the before and after (which will show you where the problem is, and how to fix it).

I lubed mine well over a year ago, and it's still nice and quiet. I had a new starter (that cane with the car when I bought it) but decided that cleaning and relubing will take care of the problem for a long, long time (probably much longer than I'll own the car).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks habbyguy. This is really helpful. I'll pull the starter and clean/lube it and I'm sure that will take care of it.

Do you know what the power window control unit reset procedure mentioned in the doc below? Page 22-261? Is this necessary?

BTW, the hissing sound from low refrigerant is gone. Nice. I really appreciate the advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I never had to do the power window control reset - and have had the battery out at least a few times. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems after getting your starter back in.

Just be really certain to take the negative lead off first, and make sure you have your radio code before pulling the battery (normally it's on a sticker on the side of the glovebox). If your radio does "lose its mind" you'll need that to keep from having to contact Acura to get the reset code.

Have fun, and let us know how the fix goes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On the flip side, I've had to reset the power window control every time I've even looked at the battery funny. Luck of the draw, I guess. However, it's dead simple: after reconnecting the battery, push and hold window button down to roll it all the way down, then pull and hold window button to roll it all the way back up and hold it up for a couple seconds after. That should be all it takes to reset it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both of you. So, pibcak, what goes wrong with the windows? I've never heard of windows getting screwed up after battery removal from any car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts