Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the rear hatch window have a power down/up feature controllable from the driver's seat? I really need this feature (dog in back) and I am guessing that because of the slanted window angle on the rear hatch that the window doesn't go down. I hope I am wrong...

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Huh? Are you talking about the actual tailgate glass??

If thats what you are talking about, no it does not open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaleB said:
Rear windows on hatches are designed to either not open, or only to be opened when stopped.
Under the right conditions while under motion (or maybe even idling for prolonged periods) carbon monoxide
from the exhaust can enter the cabin. Not a healthy prospect.
Acura obviously elected for it not to open at all.
Not TRUE!!! I have a 4Runner and the rear hatch window opens whenever you want it to. So does the newer Sequoia. It is really a nice feature to be able to put that glass down during a nice day and get the air coming into the cabin.

You do make a good point about the carbon monoxide, but this is not an issue once you are moving. Only an idiot would leave the rear hatch window open while parked and the car running.

·
Registered
285 Posts
unlike the 4runners, the rear hatch window/glass on MDX will not be able to be opened at all... it will go up with the opening of the rear hatch, but that's about it... it can't be opened separately as it does in ford explorer...

the rear window sits relatively high for MDX IMO, so opening it separately probably won't do you any good, unless you are carrying really really long objects that won't fit into the interior of the MDX...

______________________________________-
2002 RedRock Pearl with touring, BSM, rear mud guards, moon roof visor and wheel locks:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
VERSATILITY

your wrong about carbon monoxide being sucked thru the rear window when stopped but not when moving. Even your owners manual warns you to not drive with the rear glass down.
I used to have a 4runner prior to my MDX. The power rear window was great and miss it not being on the MDX.

When you drive, there is a suction at the rear of all vehicle. That's why the rear of cars get dirtier. Ever hear of NASCAR drafting? If you drive with the rear glass down, exhaust fumes will be sucked into the vehicle. You can minimize the amount by driving with the side windows opened, but still not a good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been driving with the tailgate window down for years and have never felt dizziness, nausea, tired, headaches, etc... While driving. I wouldn't worry too much about what is in the owner's manual. The manufacturer has to state every silly possiblity that some dumb owner may do to prevent lawsuits.

This is like anything else, use your common sense. I don't believe that while driving 70MPH on the highway the three or four inches I may have my rear window opened will allow carbon monoxide to be sucked into the cabin of the car. Now if the window was down all the way and I was going slower, then it is a possiblity.

In any event, this is a nice feature as it is useful in many ways. Too bad it is not available on the MDX.

·
Registered
106 Posts
"versatility" is right. My daughter has a 4Runner and carries her two large dogs around all the time with the back window down about 30%. The dogs love it. People riding behind her love it ("Hey, look at those two giant dog heads!") And, even when riding around in her backseat, I've never smelled exhaust or been the least bit bothered by fumes.
If you're going to worry about something, worry about something really important - like global warming (I'm kidding!).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am sure it's an over-reaction on the part of the gov who is there to protect us.. (cough)...but based on some incident.
There may be other variables also and nice tight windows with leaks in the floor pan with a rusty exhaust system will do the thing probably with faster results.
Just like the all the safety stickers on ladders, legislation as the result of individuals not using common sense. We all pay for it in the long run.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Leader(in L.A.) said:
I've never smelled exhaust or been the least bit bothered by fumes.
May have to do with where the exhaust is exiting too. Carbon monoxide is odorless I think. Well, whatever, it will take a well placed and well thrown rock to change the rear ventilation in the X in any case. Now, THAT would make me sick!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Carbon monoxide IS odorless. Luckily, auto exhaust has other nasties in it besides carbon monoxide and most of them are NOT odorless...as anyone who's been stuck on the Ventura Freeway in a convertible during rush-hour can tell you. :p

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am from SoCal orginally, and as crowded as your freeways get, they are much better designed.
101 through Silly Cone Valley is ridiculous. No one has figured out in north. Ca. that adding a dedicated 24hr. commuter lane is smarter than changing the no. 1 lane depending on the time of day.
So on our 'super freeways' we spend those commuting hours (if solo in the car) channeled into 3 three lanes. Yes, I know those fumes only too well.
Most the drivers down south are better too, they actually seem to have an idea where they are going.
Maybe because they get enough warning signs of turn-offs.
I think many of our ramps were designed by artists, not engineers that know how to bank curves for a posted speed. Sorry, I digress.. off topic.

·
Registered
339 Posts
versatility said:
I've been driving with the tailgate window down for years and have never felt dizziness, nausea, tired, headaches, etc... While driving. I wouldn't worry too much about what is in the owner's manual.....
I know friends who claim smoking is not bad for you. Some would say second hand cigaratte smoke is harmless too. I guess as long as you don't have a problem, there is no problem. Otherwise, you may come back and sue your 4-Runner's manufacturer many years later.

;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RedMdxMemphis said:

I know friends who claim smoking is not bad for you. Some would say second hand cigaratte smoke is harmless too. I guess as long as you don't have a problem, there is no problem. Otherwise, you may come back and sue your 4-Runner's manufacturer many years later.

;)
You must be a real Genius:D :D I suppose you go around not drinking diet coke, not using sweet n low, no nutra sweet, no McDs Fries, No Pizza Hut for fear of having to come down with cancer or heart disease in 20 years and having to sue so many companies! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts