Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 4500 miles on it so far.
I know it is a little louder inside the cabin then the 2010 that I traded in for the 17.
Using the paddles when downshifting I experience a surge in power. Is that normal?
Also wondering if the air will stay in the tires on these models?
Can't seem to keep them all at the same amount. ARGH.
Thanks for any feed back.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yes, downshifting should give you a surge of power since you are moving to a lower gear to get into a more ideal power brand. How much of a surge depends on how far you've downshifted and how hard you're pressing on the accelerator. Air will never fully stay in tires indefinitely. It is a good habit to maintain air pressures at your desired amount about every other fuel up. The MDX does have a feature where it beeps at the recommended pressures. See the owners manual for instructions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I think the OP experienced the same thing I did when I had a 16 MDX 9AT loaner for a few days. The MDX feels like the engine is surging and the MDX feels like it is picking up speed when you use the paddles to slow down when coasting. Like the OP, I'm used to hitting the paddles 1-2 times to use the 6AT for engine braking. I kept the MDX in sport mode the entire time and I don't know if the surging feeling would change in other IDS settings? I gave up using the paddles after a few times it happened.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, downshifting should give you a surge of power since you are moving to a lower gear to get into a more ideal power brand. How much of a surge depends on how far you've downshifted and how hard you're pressing on the accelerator. Air will never fully stay in tires indefinitely. It is a good habit to maintain air pressures at your desired amount about every other fuel up. The MDX does have a feature where it beeps at the recommended pressures. See the owners manual for instructions.

Neoshi,

You mentioned the MDX beeps at recommended pressures.....are u speaking of when filling the tires? That is, will the car beep when the recommended level is reached? I heard Nissan/Infinity do this, but haven't had happen for me on the 14 MDX Tech, unless it's an Advanced feature.....I did just reference the digital owner's manual and did not see any mention of that.......let me know please, as I just filled tires the other day due to sub-zero temps here in Chicago....thx

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Oh, the 14 might not have it. I think it was added with the 16+ models. Just keep the car on (cant remember if you need engine on or just electrical), but the tpms system does a combo beep and headlights flashing sequence for correct fill. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://owners.acura.com/utility/download?path=/static/pdfs/2016/MDX/2016_MDX_Tire_Pressure_Monitoring_System_(TPMS).pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjOhIPF4ZTRAhUCsVQKHStGBkkQFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNHjeJe_7JCDEcWBRFAwZ21Do7kTMg&sig2=fw697btvbkD9Hpmk8wUbaA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts